V8 Drift Pickup

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Forgot to add, a lot of work gone into that build. A daunting prospect for most people with that amount of repairs & fabrication. So a big well done from me!!

Regards Ged.

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Cheers guys :)

Got another update :)
engine is almost ready to start.... just got to sort out the bottom hose for the rad and the switched live for the coil :)

Tight fit, so had to chop the cooling fans a little to get them in:

Also swapped the oil cooler to driver side as the pipes were sitting on the water pump, and didn't fancy chewing through the oil lines!!

Also rejigged the rear suspension mounts as they were too upright and the shocks weren't compressing at all:

And finaly, my new prop with a slider joint on the end :)

All going well I should have it sparked up on the weekend :)
Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Last quick update for a bit...
had to cut more of the chassis for clearance!

and the exhaust all finished :)

Hope to have another 3-4 days work on her before it's all finished!!

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Tub had a bit of attention.... only the visable pannels mind, so got rid of the rot on the lower sections and replaced with Galv sheeting, braced and painted ready to be fitted:

I could do alot more to it, but I think it would take me most of the year to get this thing finished if I did :( so this will have to do!! when it falls apart properly, I think I'll put a tray back on it just to be different!!

and also painted the back of the truck while the tub was off:

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Well, got the tub on today.... and off, and back on!! had to cut all the rusty bracing off as it was hitting the exhaust system and cross members :( but when I got it sitting I was like...... oooo f**k, that's low!!! LOL

Rear cans sit spot on at the back end.... love the look of this now, got a bit of nascar or something about it now?!

Fitted one 30mm spacer each side to see if I needed 60mm, but with this poke, I think I'll leave it at 30mm!! LOL

final ride hight should be something like this, but need to get some stiffer springs as the fronts are compressing alot, but shall see what happens with tomorrows measuring!!

love the new stance!

And for the people who think it needs to be lowerd some more....... LOL

Tomorrow should see the rear cage refitted, fuel system and paint prep :) can't wait to drive this thing again.... been way too long!!!

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

new bonnet vents :)

Post by Jono FD3 »

Due tot he weather being a bit poop down here today I decided to do the bonnet.... hadn't planned to do it this early on, but thought sod it get it done!!
Wanted an air feed for the engine, and some vents to draw the air out of the engine bay. All the bits were bashed using a hammer and various blocks of wood to get the shape I wanted :) and to be honest I was well impressed with how it turned out, just needs a light skim of filler then it will be painted with the rest of the body work (hopefully over the weekend!)

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

It's alive :)

Post by Jono FD3 »

well after a load of messing around it's finaly alive!!

Got all the cosmetics done this morning, as the starter popped lastnight :(
got that back this afternoon and got her to sing (althought the timing was way out, but now it's set it runs prety well!) off to test it tomoz and run her in for 100 miles, then off to pembrey on sunday to do Taxi rides with a few of the other lads!!

Primerd:

Painted:

Stickerd:

And a prety crap vid of it running.... sound is too deap for the camera to pick it up! LOL

Jono

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

That sounds good, idle a bit high tho, will sound cool with lower idle. Unless its on choke??

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Carb was drawing air due to the adapter plate that bolts to the manifold having no gasket and 2 stripped threads!! putting the carb back on this morning so the idle should be where it should now!! seved it's perpose mind as it was handy to have a fast idle for the cam to bed back in!

3 things to do now: alternator and RPM gauge wireing, then fit the carb and it's off to the air field for the rubbish run in period!

Can't wait for tomorrow!!

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

had the first drift in the truck yesterday and it got a great reception from the guys when we rocked up... massive cheer and round of aplause followed by, what engine is in it now? LOL

anyway, engine ran OK, more power to come from it yet as the ignition tining needs to be set properly and the float levels need to be tweeked on the secondries as it was dropping off the power coming out of the bends!
then took my bro out at lunch time only to have the suspect UJ fall apart resulting in a bent propshaft, bent centre bearing and a nakerd UJ! so that put us out for the rest of the day :(

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Engine running well, although seems a little flat until the 2nd chokes open, then she is away :) few more pics of it in action, and hope to have a vid soon from the guys taking pics at the event!

Cone launching is a new game to play while drifting :)

Jono

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Vids vids vids!!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

What is your impression driving with a v8 copared with a screaming 4 banger?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

to be honest with you fella.... the old engine used to redline at the same 5700rpm, so no real difference there, but I do need the 2nd chokes open on the holly to keep the wheels spinning.... more than likely it's down to setup and a few fine tweeks needed to get it spot on, but the truck itself is alot more throwable now, so that makes up for it at the moment!!

Here is a wonkey vid from one of the lads track side:

Jono

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Shmokin!

Looks like a lot of fun!

Regards Ged.

Return to “Your Cars”