What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

My 4.6 litre Rover P6B

Post by RoverP6B »

I am very pleased to share some photos of my lovely 1974 Rover 3500, although now with the 4.6 litre that probably should be 4600 :D

I have been driving her for 23 years. The total mileage as of October 2008 is just over 216,000 (348,000km). The 4.6 litre engine has just over 12,000 miles of use since being fitted last year.

The duco is all original, save for the o/s rear guard. The black paint within the engine bay is also original.

I use my Rover daily, and I will keep her forever.

The first photo three photos were taken in October 2008 in the suburb of Sydney where I live. The fourth photo shows the 3" exhaust after being fitted last year.

Ron.

[/img]

4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Very nice indeed Ron ...

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

:whs :whs :whs I've got a soft spot for the P6's, and that one is a stunning example.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Nice, that engine bay looks like a fresh restoration! But you're running a 4.6 on SU carbs . . . ? get a weber mate lol 8-)

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

oh no leave it as it is , i think it's looks wondeful ...and std 8)
remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Ron,

That looks superp, and I bet it's great to drive with all that lovely torque, is it still automatic?

I had a new 3500S in 1972 in Mexico brown with biscuit leather and loved it, apart from the incredibly slow Moss 4sp manual box, it handled beautifully and the grip was tremendous.

If I could find a nice rust free one with power steering, a late type auto box 4.6 engine and air con I'd be very tempted.

Kevin.

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

I really appreciate the nice comments, thank you all very much indeed :D

Kevin,

Yes, it is still an automatic...BW-35. Before the installation I made many calls to determine suitability, and all that I spoke to, from Torque Converter Industries to the business that service the transmission, all said the same..... The transmission will be fine, just don't do anything silly.

So I don't "plant the foot" from a standing start, nor use kickdown. Really I don't need to...the torque...and there is so much of it just lifts and that press in the centre of your back as you accelerate,...such a pleasure to drive.

If anything, the transmission works better with the smooth power delivery and massive amounts of torque delivered by the 4.6, and in my case it runs a high torque camshaft too.

Fortunately, when Rover designed the P6B, they massively oversized the drivetrain given the power of the 3.5, which is a very good thing for strength and longevity.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Lovely car - I've had 6 of them, and had one for 13 years (series 1 in Davos White) till I sold it because of lack of use :( .
How does the diff hold up?, as i've had to replace 2 due to broken shafts in the diff itself.

Pete
Image Image

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello Pete,

I have heard that the diff axles are the weak link in the drive train, and seen it first hand. A friend and fellow P6B owner phoned some years ago, his car would not move. Went in my Rover, hooked him up with a toe cable and towed him to my place. A P6B towing another, must have been quite a sight!!

Sure enough one of the diff axles had sheared in two, so we pulled the entire diff out and installed a new one.

As one of my diff axle oil seals was leaking at the time, as a preventative measure I changed both diff axle assemblies while fitting a new oil seal.

I am always careful never to provide power that will provoke wheel spin, as that will place undue stress on the diff axles. I always change the diff oil every 20,000 miles or so, and everything has been good.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

59fan

Post by 59fan »

That's lovely, my first car was a P6, 2000SC Mexico Brown :-)

A quick question, what exhaust manifold are you using? I have a P5B with a 4.6 and am looking to upgrade the manifolds and exhaust, but am struggling to find a suitable compact manifold.

Thanks

Ian

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello Ian,

I appreciate your nice comments.. :D

The exhaust manifolds are the original cast iron 3500 manifolds, which exit from the centre.

If I recall, the P5B manifolds are angled more toward the rear, and by design are less efficient than the P6B design.

All the latter cast iron manifolds exit more towards the rear, so are no suitable for my engine bay.

I take it that the SD1 and Range Rover twin outlet manifolds are not suitable given the clearance that you have?

I did get some quotes on having tubular (extractor) manifolds made up, 4-2-1 design in stainless steel, but the price was prohibitive...around $2000 Australian. :shock:

I'd give the P6B manifolds a try.. :wink:

Lets know how you get on.
Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

What a sweet looking car. I too have a soft spot for these. I dont know what it is about them. Must be something from when I was a kid seeing rich folk and the Fuzz rolling by with the V8's rumbling I think...

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Ron,

Very nice mate!! Bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Love the exhaust!

Ged.

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello Perry and Ged,

Thanks very much for your nice comments... :D

Ged...the exhaust does sound nice and mean too..very deep and loud!

I hope to have a little film of the car up on YouTube soon. I'll post a notice when it is ready.

Cheers!
Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

My 4.6 litre engine has always been more fuel efficient when compared to the original 3.5 litre engine that powered my Rover for 33 years.

Last week whilst driving from Bathurst to Granville (New South Wales, Australia), a distance of 111 miles (179km) I am very pleased to say that I achieved my best fuel economy to date with 30.3 mpg (9.3l/100km). :D

It was a hot day too which may well have helped,...36 degrees at Granville with engine oil temperature in the sump reaching 105 degrees C, coolant temp 85 to 90 degrees C and inside the car....49.3 degrees C..ouch!

The previous best over the same route was 29mpg.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Return to “Your Cars”