MGB GT V8 conversion (on a student budget)

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

MGB GT V8 conversion (on a student budget)

Post by JC. »

Nearly at the end of the build now.

'79 BGT V8.
Rover P6-S engine (9.25:1 CR)
LT77 5 speed
Standard 4 cylinder rear axle
Ive been building this up for about 3 weeks now. Although have been planning it since newyears day 2006 after a run in Perry's (MGBV8) factory BGTV8.

Basically, I have tried to convert my 1800 BGT to V8 power using my student loan and some small savings.
Ive had a lot of technical help along the way and many folks from the MG owners club have donated parts to my project. Big thankyou to them... a few of them frequent this forum too. You know who you are... its very much apriciated :)

Not much left to do now... just fidly little jobs such as making a new centre consol to go aroud the gearlever etc etc.

I know the bonnet doesnt match... I dont have £500 for a webber 1404 though so it'll have to be holes in the temporary bonnet untill funds materialise.

Its not exactly a balls out V8 conversion but then i'm only 21.

Well... here she is....

And a couple of shots from a drivers perspective...

.... and yes i know I the garage is a mess. the first 2 weeks I had my tools aranged imaculately... however when it started blowing from the exhaust manifolds the other day i kinda lost my rag and started throwing spanners :S I've no idea where half of my tools are now lol!

exhausts...

As you can see... there's sod all ground clearence!!!

yes i am aware one of the tips is at a funny angle... i was putting them on in the rain. I'll sort it another day. :S

the hole I made for the gear lever....

Aaaanyway.... heres a couple of vids from today.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4uwb8ds

And heres what it's like inside! Burble burble

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=6h3a9n9

Oh yeah... i knew it was a V8 today for definate... it ran out of petrol! Its used two gallons just idling on the drive!!! LMAO!

Bit nervous posting the car up on here after seeing pics of what some of your chaps have got up to... Particularly that minivan V8 and the dolomite.... So, not the most impressive car on the forum... but it is my first V8 conversion.... Marks out of ten then? :S

Image -JC.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

This is what it looked like when I first bought it in 2004...

Image -JC.

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

V8 builds on a student build are fun aint they?!
My engine was a rebuild from the ground up tho, but it went into a vehicle with slightly more underbonnet space :lol: (see the V8 defender thread).
Looking good - just get eh bonet sprayed up and it'll look class!

Try these: My mates dad uses them on his (factory) MGBV8. They clear the hood with no need for chopping (a bit late now I know!)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGB-V8-carburetto ... dZViewItem
Cheaper than £500, but still, a little pricey!

Good luck getting it finished!

P.S, how the hell do you upload pics onto the forum? I keep asking but it's either a secret or no-one can be arsed to tell me :roll: .
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Like it. I would snap up those carbs on ebay. That's a pretty good price I would say.

Tom:
You need to have your pics hosted somewhere other than the forum.
For example, I have a picture hosted on my website here:
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/images/v8rebuild/DSCF3090.JPG

Then to make it appear in the post, I put Image after it.

So Image

Chris
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

That's fantastic - looks just right!

If I were you I'd avoid the 'trouser' MG intake manifold as reputedly it's absolutely horrendous for performance - you could always change the dashpots on your HS6s, or make a little bulge.....

I'd be wary about the exhausts though - even with a nozzle fitted, I had serious problems with gas making it into the passenger cell and potentially it was very nasty in heavy traffic (now it exits under the boot floor, hopefully clearing the car - no problems as of yet).

I'd give you 11/10 for that, just for having the guts to go at it yourself and coming up with a working, nicely done conversion. Love your rampipes as well 8-) Might be worth getting some socks tho? Shame to write it off with a bit 'o grit or similar.

Love the slotmags as well, they really suit the colour somehow 8-)

Hey if you come up with a good way to cover up the 'stick, give us a shout - having a few issues coming up with a good solution for mine at the moment.

Who cares about cosmetics anyway :lol:

We should have a "V8 owners" group on facebook for us students, how terribly modern :lol:

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

Looks real nice :D

If it were mine I'd leave it more or less as is. How about side exit pipes mad max style or similar? Just need 2 lengths of tube to point the tailpipes out the side to lose them fumes and they look cool too. Would do side exits myself but I've already committed to twin cherrybombs out the back of my rover.

Personally I would paint the bonnet satin black, and fit a removable scoop/shield over the carbs to stop rain getting in 'em, but its yours so do what you want :wink:

Big thumbs up! 10/10
1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

v84x4

Post by v84x4 »

very cool sounds sweet

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Dont encourage the bloody students boys!! he he..How you doin JC?

Lewis, if you need a bit of sheet metal made up for your gearstick cover, let me know. I have a tame sheet metal guy that does lots of stuff for me for a few quid. If its a flat plate, he can do it on his computerised laser cutter for a few quid. If you give me a drawing, I could bung it in the post for you.

JC
What is the measurement between the trumpet tips / outside edges of the cutouts?

I have a really cool glass scoop that may just fit over your holes. If its the right size, you can have it.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Thanks for the positive comments guys.. :)

Hehe, not bad thanks, Perry. Pretty enthused now ive got that X member bolted up that you made for me. Works a treat. Exhausts are bloody low now though!!! got about 2 1/2 inches ground clearance if that!

Pel, I'll have a measure up tommorow . Its not two MGB map pockets is it!!!
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Ha Ha!!
No Jon
I have a funky scoop that I was going to fit to mine. Now I dont really need it. I may put it on the Fiesta if its too narrow for you though.

Glad the Xmember fitted. Was there much difference in the mounting hole width?
My factory V8 was at least 7mm out from the measurements we took on yours. Mind you, it had been a 20 hour day for me to that point and it was dark when we took the measurements on your drive eh?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Yeah it was a little bit out, but not by much. Although, the hole at the back on the passenger side is a bit close to the edge but there's plenty of material there.

Had a bit of a scare whilst i was fitting it up actually... the car came off the axle stands which shocked me up a fair bit.... I moved out the way in time...
I cant even remember what i was doing to make it come off. I suppose working in the rain wasnt exactly the smartest thing i've ever done.

Ah well. It does at least drive. I am worried about that prop though... going to get that changed as soon as i'm back from the pod.
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Dont wait for the Pod JC. That prop is too short, and you will do some damage when you go over the first big dip in the road.
take it to a propshaft man and get at least an inch taken out of it.

If you find a nice big dip, as the car squats down, the prop will try to push its way into the gearbox tailshaft housing. You only have a few mm of clearance which is not enough.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Yeah... im getting it shortened in the week hopefully.
Mother said she'd help me out. :)

Oh and the measurement of those holes is just shy of 26 inches not that it makes a difference now :(
Image -JC.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

OK, just a small update...

I've painted the bonnet matt black, machine polished 2 alloys and finished the exhaust system. I've got Chrome sidepipes either side now! lol! :D

Image -JC.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Orsum!

Those alloys look great on it as well, very period!

Got a lovely Autometer carbon fibre tach with shift light that'd set that right off :wink: :lol:

Return to “Your Cars”