What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Defender 90 5.0

Post by DaviesDJ »

Ok guys, my defender 90 5.0 RV8, discovery running gear, 35 inch tyres, Eddie 600 carb, Kent H404, electronic dizzy, rhoads hi rev lifters, stage 3 heads, je rocker out riggers, balanced etc. full roll cage. Cross fire plate (on but not set up), 2 inch lift. Finishing the build, it's in tangeres orange. Built as a
Toy really but have developed an enthusiasm for competing:-) don't want to trial or comp safari it as it will dent my lovely work! Would love to do hill climbs or take it to Santa pod, am going there for the first time next week for a look. Are there any other defenders drag racing? What sort of times should I aim for (with and without 75-100 of gas)- any body involved in hill climb?? What do you guys think?? Gimmie something to aim for:-) How do I put a picture up??
Cheers
Dave - near daventry

Spent so much on trial and error!

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Dave, sounds 8)
Pics - use Photobucket or similar, upload pics there. Copy the 'forum code' bit some or all of 'em provide with IMG tags, which looks kind of like -

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.blahblah.com/pic.jpg[/img]
cheers
Bill

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
you can drag race pretty much anything, provided you can get it consistant you can find a class you can be competative in, but there is the rub you need to be consistant. Are you running a mamual box or an auto? there are a few people who drag race landrovers, not sure if any are 90s but they are definatly landrovers.
Hll climbing, if you mean what this lot do http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/
not this lot

well the car equivilent! :lol: is a bit more tricky as a 90 on a 2" lift is going to be very wrong, hill climb cars are about low centre of gravity light, weight, high grip and a wide powerband . . . your 90 isn't though maybe you want to charge up a grass hill and see how far you can go before it rolls down again which it might be good at if you lowered it at the front only. . . . .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Thanks mate, building a mates mini turbo, think i will stick to hill climbing in that when it is finished. But OBVIOUSLY i feel nothing for 4 pots, so i think i will aim to be a quick 1/4 mile landy, dirt hill climbing could be good but dont want to wreck my paint job;-) Its on off road tyres now (35 inch) but could be changed and could drop springs easily, but it has spacers so it could be ok as it is on the strip. It does have a manual:-( but i suppose i have always known that is a disposable item;-)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Is this vehicle a 1980 model or older???

I dont know landrover stuff !!

If its 1980 or older you can do RWYB this weekend at the pod in the dragstalgia event :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hello again
I would turn up to a RWYB and give it a go, you don't have to actually change anything to give it a go! you won't be short of grip with 4 wheel drive, but even if you were 4 Micky thompson drag radials in 34" diamiter would sort that out, but reallly with 4 driven wheels any half way grippy road tyre will sort you out. As I said before it is about cnsistancy, large frontal area, makes you suseptable to head and tail wind effecting your times, but log the wind direction on the day and just declare a different dial in time for the day. An auto box and torque converter are inherently more consistant, however a manual box just puts more of the emphasis on, you can be as consistant as an auto, you just need the practice! ! ! the only thing that will hit you with the combination you have is that it will be easy to "bog" the engine off the line unless you are prepared to really hammer the clutch, on the other hand you can always fit a very heavy duty clutch, or a sintered racing one that will take the abuse!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

My 4.6 Series II (with 4WD) on 205 tyres pulls 16's. It's about 250BHP, and finishes at around 82MPH.

I would think you ought to be a shade quicker, but perhaps the larger tyres will work against you.

I also have an auto which helps keep the power going in all the time.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Thanks guys! Just so you know its a 90 - 1986. Chris your SII sounds great - and i htink once ive got it all sorted in the next couple of months I am gonna make it my target to hit 15s on a RWYB! eventually, after huge cost to ego, dignity and wallet;-)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
It is well worth seeing Chris run at the strip, just for the look on the face of the guy next to him in a M3 BMW or similar when he beats the pants off them, very funny.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

griffman

Post by griffman »

Hey Dave - my 6.3 90 will give you a run for your money when she is finished in a couple of weeks

Here she is on first start-up in the car - just on headers at the mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEoEgn9uU0

victor

Return to “Your Cars”