Serpentine pas pump, won't bleed/no pressure?

General Chat About Steering.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Pics Please

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

I would do but its a bit awkward to get at, it sits behind the left hand headlight in the wheel arch area. Its a really compact unit which i puinched from work. It came off an astra with a leak from the rack and seeing as its cheaper to by a complete rack and pump with hoses sealed up system from vauxhall instead of just a rack that means there's occasionally a mint pump to be had!!!
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

I've read all this with great interest. Having had good working power steering system I drained the steering and replaced the return pipe while installing a new engine. I refilled the reservoir and bled it in every conceivable way. No bloody power steering. Absolutely none. I've spent a week at this and don't really know where to go next with it. Fluid does exude from the pressure side with engine running and the pump is not particularly noisey but does seem to get fairly warm (but it is a TVR)
The only thing, short of trying to measure the pressure somehow, I thought of is to get a new pump. £46 quid from Island 4by4. ( although a lot of money to a pauper like me it seems a lot of metal for 46 quid)
There are no leaks at the rack ----- could it be the rack????
I'm bloody stumped------- What do you think???
PS I've temporarily removed restricters from the rack to allow full ram stroke movement in case air was trapped at the ends of the each stroke

Return to “Steering Area”