PS-pump drive

General Chat About Steering.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jan_rrc39v8

PS-pump drive

Post by jan_rrc39v8 »

On my RV8 3.9L i sometimes have eratic servo steering assistance. At the same time the V-belt screams / slips. (ATF cold)

I checked the belt tension (crank <> servopump belt) and it is way to low. I can see the belt jumping around on the pulley's. But i don't seem to have adjustability on that belt. Is that normal?? Surely it should be adjustable, right? But how?

fyi:
all other V belts (AC, waterpump, alternator) are adjustable so i tensioned all of them correctly.
The 3.9L is not the OEM engine for my chassis ('81) so it was fitted at a later stage. Could it be part of a bodged install? Or am i using a wrong belt (to long?)

DD: RRC 3.9efi lpg, project: bmw e9 CS with 3.5L turbo + MS&S

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Every V belt drive I've ever seen is adjustable. Are you sure the adjustment isn't just hiding behind the pulley - it's a bit like that on my SD1.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

The pump should be able to move (when you adjust it) by sliding sideways, the bolt heads to crack off to slacken it usually hide behind the pulley, and at a glance it doesn't look like the pump can move, but there is a lot of adjustment in the bracket.
TC

jan_rrc39v8

Post by jan_rrc39v8 »

i managed to find the half cresent adjuster. It's not visible from the top and really difficult to see and reach from below since it is obscured by other V-belts.
i had removed the dizzy to gain good access to the other bolts.
Tensioning was a doddle.
Since the alternator is driven from the PS-pump pulley that belt also needed readjustment.

I now have a silky smooth V8, no belts slippage what so ever.
:)
thanks for the input!
DD: RRC 3.9efi lpg, project: bmw e9 CS with 3.5L turbo + MS&S

Return to “Steering Area”