Insurance with NOS

General Chat About Nitrous Oxide.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Insurance with NOS

Post by sidecar »

Hi Guys, I was just at the point of ordering up a NOS kit when I thought that I'd better check out my insurance. I did not think that it would be a problem as Backford and Bloor who I'm with insure my mates 600 BHP 427 lump. Anyway turns out that they won't insure my car with NOS...the gits!

I've tried Classic Line (They said that They'll come back to me but haven't yet), I've tried Adrian Flux but they want 3 times what I'm paying now!

Do any of you guys use NOS on the road and if so how the hell have you got insured? :?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

mines only insured to and from the track with nos, and the bottle must be disconected, and it also states not to be used on the road,

which is ok for me as i only use the gas at the pod anyways.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

thev8kid wrote:mines only insured to and from the track with nos, and the bottle must be disconected, and it also states not to be used on the road,

which is ok for me as i only use the gas at the pod anyways.
Cheers for the reply, I'll have to wait and see if anyone uses NOS on the road. :P

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Pete
You had an answer from Classic Line yet?
Cheers
P

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

gelmonkey wrote:Pete
You had an answer from Classic Line yet?
Cheers
P
No mate!

The first time I rang they said that they would not cover the car, I then rang again and explained that they have covered you. Darren was not in that day so I phoned back yesterday, they said that he was on the phone and that he would ring me back.....He didn't! :(

I'll ring him again today.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

The nitrous insurance is a minefield sometimes. :)

When I first decided on gas I rang everyinsurance company in custom car mag. My first question to each company was. "Do you insure modified cars?" The reply was always No??

My V8 was £110 fully comp before gas. This went to £400 with gas and the mods such as gearbox, carb etc and was insured for road use.

But then the cheeky buggers started putting 10% per annum on the premium? I asked flux why I wasnt getting a discount each year and some kid told me "it dont work like that" !!
Luckily I was just aobut to take it off the road anyway for mainly track use.
Has anyone thought about asking if they would insure a turbo conversion :)
Its still a power adder, and you cant turn that off in between track days :lol:

I even rang the company Coop's is using and was told no way could they insure a car with nitrous ??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

mgbv8 wrote:The nitrous insurance is a minefield sometimes. :)

When I first decided on gas I rang everyinsurance company in custom car mag. My first question to each company was. "Do you insure modified cars?" The reply was always No??

My V8 was £110 fully comp before gas. This went to £400 with gas and the mods such as gearbox, carb etc and was insured for road use.

But then the cheeky buggers started putting 10% per annum on the premium? I asked flux why I wasnt getting a discount each year and some kid told me "it dont work like that" !!

I even rang the company Coop's is using and was told no way could they insure a car with nitrous ??

Cheers for the reply Perry.

The whole thing was a bit of a shock as I really did not think that it would be a problem, I guess I should have known better after all I'm dealing with faceless corporate companies after all.

Its just the 'crappyness' of it, I only wanted to boost the thing by 75 BHP giving a total of 350, my mate has 600 BHP in the same car as mine!

Also Gelmonkey spent time and effort to help me out (as did you), I feel bad now as its all going pair shaped.

Gelmonkey, I phoned CL again and still did not to get to talk to Darren, are you sure they are any good? :?

Cheers,

Pete

V8Smudge
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by V8Smudge »

When I worked in the motor trade, we used to see a Saxo VTR with a 25hp WON nitrous kit on it, which gave it Saxo VTS performance, the owner said it was insured for road use through Adrian Flux, which more than doubled his premium.
He then upgraded to a 50hp kit and nobody would insure him for road use, only to and from a track/strip with the bottle disconnected.
Land Rover SIIA 88" fitted with a 180BHP V8
Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

It's a load of rubbish, people hear "nitrous" and think it actually turns your car into an F15 jet engined beast, as someone mentioned- they are happy to insure a big turbo which can produce several hundred bhp but not a 50 shot of gas!
TC

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Pete
Check out the Car insurance thread in the general chat area.
This just seems like total pooh to me .
As you say your mates car......
P

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

mgbv8 wrote:The nitrous insurance is a minefield sometimes. :)

mines not covered to use the gas mate,
only to and from a track with the bottle on board,
when not racing the bottle has to be removed from the car,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Finally got CL insurance to take down my details, they are mega busy and will try to get me a quote next week sometime.

Paul (aka Gelmonkey) as soon as I know the score I'll contact you! :D

Pete

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Okay Pete
No problems either way mate.
Cheers
P

5000SE
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by 5000SE »

I insured my ZX12R with gas, moving from a 'normal' insurance policy to giving Flux a list of mods a page long including gas, and it was actually cheaper than the original mainstream policy (which had many years of no claims).

Went down from about £350 to £280 I think, though admittedly the excess went up to £500.
No substitute for cubic inches

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

5000SE wrote:I insured my ZX12R with gas, moving from a 'normal' insurance policy to giving Flux a list of mods a page long including gas, and it was actually cheaper than the original mainstream policy (which had many years of no claims).

Went down from about £350 to £280 I think, though admittedly the excess went up to £500.

Hi there,

The quote that Flux gave me was loads higher than without NOS.

Classic Line have finally sorted me out, it's still 200 quid more than Backford and Bloor without NOS but I've order up a kit anyway. (B and B won't insure the car with NOS)

Cheers,

Pete

Return to “Nitrous Oxide Area ”