Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Wet or dry, just to kick the forum off.

Post by stevieturbo »

Anybody using a dry shot kit ?

And what sort of cost is involved ?

I probably wont do it...but I am tempted with say 100 shot. I think my fuel system could cope with a 100 dry shot, as I could also make the installation more discreet.

Although a wet is probably the better option ?

What about bottle temp ? I know when I used a kit ages ago on a friends car, it was critical that bottle pressure was over 925psi, otherwise it was basically crap.
And it was a PITA to heat the bottle to keep it at operating temp.

Is it ok to run a larger jet, to compensate for not having the bottle warm enough to maintain pressure ?

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Stevie
It is very important to have the bottle pressure/temp around 850-900 psi.
I use a 220 watt heater wrap with a pressure switch to control the power to the heater. This made a big difference on the Holley setup, and a bigger difference on the WON setup. The Holley stuff is rated by jet size and you can flow various amounts depending on bottle pressure, which means you can run into problems on a dry system with over fuelling due to low gas pressure. So if you fart around setting up the system to run well in cooler weather, you can go rich on nos as the bottle warms up with the weather. This is not good. The WON stuff is flow rated and is a generally safer system.

I have recently changed to a WON setup, and this is even more critical re gas pressure. Your motor would swallow a 100 shot in a fixed hit with no probs. My old Rover V8 in the MG takes a 150 hit with no gripes and that will be up to 200 next spring via a pulse controller.

I assume you are thinking of hooking the gas in with your ECU to alter the fuel map to suit. You can use the same stuff as I do with fuel injection. You just alter the fuel jet size to allow for the higher fuel delivery pressure. This means you can stick a wet system on very easily, you dont have to mess around with the ECU at all. You just match the fuel and Nitrous jets to suit each other in the solenoids and you are away mate.

Cost:
11lb bottle. £150 ish, but you can find them on ebay a lot cheaper.

A decent nos solenoid, £140 ish from WON, but you can get a holley one for about £58.00 new.

Pipe and fittings around £50.00

Arming switch £10 to £20

Then its down to the type of delivery system. You could use a Nos fogger nozzle or similar which will set you back about £35 with a jet. But I would seriously think about using a WON Crossfire injector as it give a much better delivery.

Give Trevor, Anthony or Dave a call at WON and they will give you the best advice for your engine. I'm sure they will be very interested in your setup. For what its worth, Trevor has put over 500hp of nos into a standard Rover V8 in the past for R&D.

I've seen your car run Stevie, can you imagine what it would be like if you stuck another 100 on in 3rd and 4th via a simple micro switch / TPS.

I'm going to have my old MG dyno'd again soon once I have finished tweaking the new system. On the Holley setup, a 50 shot gave me another
77bhp at the flywheel. I can only believe this is due to the crude spray system delivering more than it should. And the WON stuff is really tune-able, unlike any of the other stuff I have used.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

mgbv8 wrote: I've seen your car run Stevie, can you imagine what it would be like if you stuck another 100 on in 3rd and 4th via a simple micro switch / TPS.
I'm trying to imagine.....thats why I'm asking ;)

I think my ecu could handle a dry shot, and take control of fuelling itself. Although a wet system is probably best, with the ecu still doing its own fine tuning via closed loop.

Of course...will 100 be enough :lol: :lol:

Is it the WON systems that just use old fire extinguisher bottles ?? I have a couple here, so no doubt that would keep costs down.

I did use a Holley system ages ago on a mates Hyundai Coupe. Dry 75 shot kit that upped fuel pressure.
I heated his bottle, by creating a coolant loop from the engines cooling system, and wrapping it around the bottle. Lot of hassle though, but almost free.

Rather problematic solenoids, in that we kept getting dirt in the nitrous solenoid ?? Like small steel balls.
I can only assume it was coming from the big BOC bottle we were filling from.
Filing was a PITA too, trying to get a full 10lb charge at room temp. We heated the big bottle to try and get a good fill into the smaller one.

Any info on nitrous pumps ?? and/or filters for filling ??
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

The bottles are all pretty much fire extinguishers. The popular ones are Luxfer aluminium cylinders.
For filling at home you should just buy a NOS in line filter to fit in your filling line. You could try warming the full bottle a little to increase pressure. I wont bother buying a filling pump for next year. I will use my Refrigeration vacuum pump to pull a low pressure in the empty bottle, and maybe use my bottle heater to warm the full cylinder. I can stand the empty on my digital scales to make sure I get it right. Its no different from transferring refrigerant which is part of my job anyway. But cleanliness is paramount. Any crap in the nos solenoid could block it, or worse, allow it to seep Nitrous. This would not be very good if you left the bottle turned on and the solenoid was seeping nitrous vapour into your induction system while the car was stood. Could lead to a serious burp on startup. My one and only burp shot the mesh from my hilborn scoop and buried it in the garage wall. But that was entirley my fault not the equipment. I was testing the solenoids and forgot to turn the gas off. I knew I had shot liquid into the mani, and I meant to disconnect the coil and oruge the engine. But after an hour of fiddling with something else I forgot and turned the key..DOH !!!
Luckily, no real damage to the carb, or me!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I use a WON system and can't fault it,
im running 100 bhp with a controller, hoping to run 150 shot next year now we have the ecu near sorted,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

The Noszle system may be a way for you to go stevie, the noszles fit between the normal injector and the manifold.
http://www.holley.com/08001NOS.asp

Ian :D :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

After all the horror stories i've heard about poor quality nitrous kits the WON kits sold themselves! If you read thru all the research Trevor at WON has done you'll have no doubt about buying one of his kits. You'll have piece of mind it won't screw yer motor up!

He says on his forum that he believes that dry efi kits are the way forward although a wet kit would by far be the easiest to use. I could've use a dry kit with mine seeing as my injectors are 33lb ones which are way more than enough for my engine but for and easy hassle free reliable installation i've used a wet kit although i won't be able to comment on its performance for a while as i used the money for the cars insurance to buy the kit! It won't be back on the road until after winter now :(

Noswizard

Post by Noswizard »

While the 'ultimate' electronic dry system is the future for nitrous technology, it's a very risky game as things stand for a novice and consequently we advise the use of wet systems for the majority of our customers.

NEVER use the NOS or Zex dry kits, as they are just a crude ticking bomb.

ALL UK based nitrous companies use bottles which are suitable for use as CO2 fire extinguishers (ONLY), because CO2 & N2O have almost identical properties.
US nitrous bottles are also the same as US companies use for CO2 extinguishers for the same reason but because US & UK bottles are made to different designs and laws they look different, when in fact they are virtually identical specification.

Regards

Return to “Nitrous Oxide Area ”