Lpg not so full up

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

oilyfingers
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Lpg not so full up

Post by oilyfingers »

I have a discovery v8 running on lpg via 2 torpedo tanks thru an r90e vapouriser. Since getting the motor several years back i have never been able to get any more than 62 litres into the 2 tanks & recently has gone down to just 53 litres. Also have noticed a loss of gas on the gauge lights & was thinking of changing the diaphrams. How easy are the diaphram's to change & does anyone have any ideas on the fill up levels dropping? Thanks...... terry

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

Has the drop in capacity been seen wherever you try to fill up, or do you always fill at the same place?

I have certain filling stations that will always give me a better fill, in general these seem to be BP stations. The problem with that is that BP are usually 3-pence more per litre than Total or Shell :(
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

oilyfingers
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by oilyfingers »

I fill up at an lpg distribution yard that has a public fill point. It averages around 6 pence a litre cheaper than the nearest lpg garage to me. Fill up there can vary by as much as 7-8 litres from empty.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Diaphragms are easy to change.

The amount you can fit in a tank is determined by the in-tank shutoff valve, which is operated by the same float mechanism that operates the gauge.

Are you running the tanks right out?, or judging that they are empty by the gauge?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

oilyfingers
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by oilyfingers »

I run the tanks right out as it usually loses power on extra throttle once near empty. One tank seems full but the other seems to be virtually empty but filler will take no more!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Sounds like the float is ferked then. Does the gauge come from the same tank?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

oilyfingers
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by oilyfingers »

Presume tank that fills properly has the float in it as when emptying it drops a light then before you know it they,re all out & it,ll run till power loss is experienced.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Both tanks will have a float, and one of them will have the gauge transducer bolted to the outside of the valve body.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jan_rrc39v8

Post by jan_rrc39v8 »

there is an easy check that you need to do first before you start messing with the floats:
check if the tanks are installed level , most tanks have a cross on the side/end indicating how the tank should be positioned.
If a tank is positioned in a non-level position the float will rise to soon leading to a premature shut of (in my country we use 80% limit)
DD: RRC 3.9efi lpg, project: bmw e9 CS with 3.5L turbo + MS&S

Return to “LPG Section”