Thicker head gaskets for 4.6 Rover wanted

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Thicker head gaskets for 4.6 Rover wanted

Post by ratwing »

Does anyone know where I can buy some or get some made? This is for a n/a engine, not turbo/supercharged but I need to lower the CR to compensate for skimmed heads and a decked block.
I can't find any and was even wondering if its possible to use 2 composites per head?
Or get some cut from thick copper sheet, would this work or would fretting due to the different expansion rates of copper, ally and steel eventually lead to leaks?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Thicker head gaskets for 4.6 Rover wanted

Post by stevieturbo »

How much were they skimmed ??

Must be a huge amount to warrant any thicker than a factory composite 4.6 gasket ? And no, 2 gaskets is not a good idea at all.

And how thick do you need ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I have been faced with a situation where the CR was too high, we were building an engine where the heads had been skimmed, it looked like the tool that was used was an angle grinder! The heads needed another skim to sort out the mess, this left the CR too high. In the end we 'scooped' out some material from each combustion chamber using a windy tool and rotary burr. It took ages because we had to keep 'buretting' each chamber in turn until we got the right volume. I think this is a better option than two head gaskets. The thickest gaskets that I have seen are around 1.5mm from memory. V8 Developments?

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Have you checked the cometic site as they do offer thicker gaskets. The maybe for the 14 stud head but guess that would not matter.

http://www.cometic.com/ag-1349999.13488 ... 6-v-8.html

Return to “Forced Induction”