Turbo 3.5 with a weber 500??

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jetskijase
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Turbo 3.5 with a weber 500??

Post by jetskijase »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251947341496
Hi all, I've been researching twin turboimg my rv8, most prob 3.9, running a Holley carb etc. BUT , I already have a nearly new edlebrock 500 on a performer manifold on my 3.5, now please have a look at the eBay ad where he has used this carb setup?
I was under the impression you couldn't pressurise the weber 500?
What do you think chaps, it would save me a big wedge if I can use my current setup.
Thanks for having a look
Jase.

rover v8 into a robin hood.....thats the plan anyway!. update, its in and runs!! but will it stay cool??? will the bonnet fit??? will the clutch cylinder work???? who cares it sounds awesome!!!!!!!!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Yess no problem.
Read this article : Edelbrock - AFB - Blow tru mods
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

jetskijase
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jetskijase »

What a write up, thanks for that link!! :D
rover v8 into a robin hood.....thats the plan anyway!. update, its in and runs!! but will it stay cool??? will the bonnet fit??? will the clutch cylinder work???? who cares it sounds awesome!!!!!!!!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

For the throttle sealing on my car I have used a separate 1/2" thick alli spacer plate and did the milling in that rather than in the carb base. The connection to the pressure point can then be placed to suit your application. The four holes through the base of the carb and into the throttle shaft bores still need to be done and matching hole put through the gasket.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I wouldnt worry too much about throttle spindles until they actually present a problem.

As for brass floats, I was lucky that any carbs I ever used had plastic floats.

But I know years ago some guys got their brass floats filled with some sort of foam to prevent them collapsing under boost. As to what sort of foam that was I have no idea though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

In my case I was getting the smell of fuel in the car when under boost conditions and pressurising the throttle spindles did the trick.

If it was a track car I would probably not worried about the smell of fuel or the possible fire risk. Also fuel stains would build up on the inlet manifold below the throttle spindles.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

jetskijase
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jetskijase »

Some great info chaps thanks.
On a side issue, only recently I've noticed a heavy petrol smell every time I floor the throttle , I haven't investigated yet but any ideas? This is just the carb, no turbo set up yet!

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

jetskijase wrote:Some great info chaps thanks.
On a side issue, only recently I've noticed a heavy petrol smell every time I floor the throttle , I haven't investigated yet but any ideas? This is just the carb, no turbo set up yet!

Has your carb been recalibrated for your engine? If not the smell could well be coming from a very rich exhaust. In my experience these carbs run way too rich on the stock setup when fitted to an RV8. Also most rolling road operators have no idea how to set these carbs up!

I have spent a few years gaining knowledge on these carbs, with a decent AFR gauge it is possible to set the carb up yourself once you understand how each fuel circuit works. The downside is that buying loads of jets and rods will soon run up quite an expense, luckily I have access to a good source and on top of that I also make/modify rods in order to get the setup that I need.

jetskijase
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jetskijase »

Cheers for the reply, I had it set up last year and was very successful, ran really well etc, it's just lately , i will get round to having a look at the weekend with the filter off.

Return to “Forced Induction”