Borg Warner EFR 7670 twinscroll any good for a V8 ?

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Borg Warner EFR 7670 twinscroll any good for a V8 ?

Post by Mark »

Spotted this on Passion Ford...

http://passionford.com/forum/ford-rs-co ... l-new.html

Got me thinking :?

Would something meant for a high power 4 cylinder work OK on a small block Ford ?

I worry about the exhaust housing chocking the engine at high revs but it does have an AR of 1.05

Any thoughts ?

302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

No. The exhaust housing will choke the engine. You could run two of them though.

For something like a small block ford - I assume it's a 5 litre - you want a big turbine housing. I've got a 4 litre 1uzfe and I've been looking at Holset HX50/55 turbos recently with 22cm housings. You could buy three decent holset turbos for the asking price of that one you posted.

Try compressor racing, he's a one man band but gets some big turbos in. He's currently got a monster Garrett GT4594 turbo for £450 which is a bargain, with just dyno runs on it, that would work a treat on a small block! Proper man sized turbo! I would have bought it but it's just a bit too big for my engine and power level aims.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I would have no worries at all about using that on 5.0 with an upper limit around 600hp

It's a T4 housing with reasonable sized turbine for the compressor and it will not choke unless you're pulling some serious rpm's

I'd have no hesitation using it, it should spool well and make decent power.

But there are also cheaper alternatives for a single that would be better suited, but a lot depends on the goals. If it's a torque monster then the EFR would work great. If you're more into revving, then there will be better units.

Cheap and cheerful BW S366 would be a good one for a cheap single, but it does depend on your goals.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Right well my bad then. Seems a lot to spend on a turbo tho when there are far better available for a lot lot less.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

chodjinn wrote:Right well my bad then. Seems a lot to spend on a turbo tho when there are far better available for a lot lot less.
I'd agree

It isnt perfectly suited by any means, but if you wanted a fast spooling, lots of torque for towing etc then yes it would be a good choice.

It's not that there are far better for less....just better suited for the specific application for less. EFR's are great turbos though.

Compressor wise, it's only just larger than a small GT35, but their turbines are supposed to flow a lot more than other turbos for any given size.

I've a good used GT4094R here. It has an impeller with a 67mm inducer but the turbine is still a similar size to that 7670
It's impeller would support close to 850 with the right build ( not a single 5.0 though )

It would probably work fine on a 5.0 too, but definitely be slower spooling than the EFR listed.

Again...really depends on your goals though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Just thinking out loud really...

The Cossie boys rave on about how good these new Borg Warners are.

I have a roller cam Ford 5.0 with a 331 stroker kit.

The stock block is weak and will not take any more then 500bhp without splitting down the middle from what I've read.

So if I went turbo, it would to be low boost or splash a load of hard earned on an aftermarket block.

Any turbo maps I look at the pressure ratio at low boost is usually off the bottom of the efficiency island :?

If I can't run high boost a quick spooling turbo would make it more fun!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

There are cheaper options that would get the job done, but he isnt asking a lot of money for the turbo either for what it is.

As an example of a BW journal bearing, billet wheel etc.

I use a pair of these, and they're keenly priced here, he's asking £1450 for a brand new EFR7670 too

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/borg-wa ... -4231.html

This has a larger impeller than the 7670, similar turbine. It would spool very fast on a 5.0 and with more top end potential

or there are lots of cast wheel options

http://www.agpturbo.com/s3-s300-series/
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the info :D

I thought you were running a Vortech ?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I was, switched to a pair of turbos last year.

Just needed more power, more silence, less belt woes etc.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

You would not be able to make the most of a twin scroll turbo on a cross plane V8 as the exhaust pulses can't be optimised. Not to say it wouldn't work, just that the twin scroll turbo costs more and you won't be able to take advantage of the twin scroll housing.
That's why the modern V8 turbos have the turbos in the V so the exhaust pulses can be used to optimise twin scroll turbos.
I suppose you could use two twin scroll turbos on a flat plane V8!

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

I had wrongly assumed that running one bank into each half of the turbo would do the trick :oops:

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

I have no knowledge on turbos so excuse the ignorant question but is it ok to run a single turbo off one side of a V8 or will the obstruction on one side upset the engine??

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Mark wrote:I had wrongly assumed that running one bank into each half of the turbo would do the trick :oops:
There's nothing wrong with doing that it will work fine.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Cobratone wrote:I have no knowledge on turbos so excuse the ignorant question but is it ok to run a single turbo off one side of a V8 or will the obstruction on one side upset the engine??
Yes you can do that, as long as the turbine isnt restrictive. several manufacturers have done that. I think saab did it relatively recently on a v6?

Return to “Forced Induction”