Supercharging

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Stuck In The Mud

Supercharging

Post by Stuck In The Mud »

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a step-by-step on how to go about supercharging my 4.6 RV8?

Ive searched online but you only seem to find bits and pieces. Or articles not relating to my engine...

If i could be pointed in the direction of a Rover-specific article or guide, it would be very helpful in my quest to know what bits i need to get a hold of and how to go about assembly etc..

Thanks
Dave

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Hi Dave, it really depends on what type of supercharger and fuelling you want, and what you will be using it for! There are several types of supercharger, and carb or injection to choose from, all have their pro's and con's, also it depends if you want a hidden set up or loud and proud!
TC

Stuck In The Mud

Post by Stuck In The Mud »

Hello TC, and thanks for the quick reply :)

My 4.6 is in a defender 110. It is fuel injected and controlled by megasquirt and has EDIS ignition system.

Id rather the system be pretty quiet as i dont like really loud/whiny chargers - would rather listen to the bellow of my V8, and has to remain under the bonnet.

Thanks
Dave

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Well the hard-work is arguably done, namely you have fuel and ignition under control.

Scroll to the bottom of my manifold page for some supercharger setups:
http://www.mez.co.uk/ms12-new.html

You will need larger fuel injectors if you have not allready upgraded. 60lb siemens deka's fit straight it. Tony's capri thread has some discussion i believe.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Id rather the system be pretty quiet as i dont like really loud/whiny chargers - would rather listen to the bellow of my V8, and has to remain under the bonnet.
That kinda rules out roots type superchargers.
Twin screw are quieter but very expensive - probably best response for a landy. Lots of low end torque.
Centrifugal can be quieter but also may hear a little gear noise - but I don't think the response would work well for a landy.

Why do you want a supercharger? Have you thought about turbos?

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

My rotrex charger is real quiet, all you hear under the bonnet at idle is a louder induction noise due to the air being sucked in,

Not sure what noise there is from outside when going down the road mind you :lol:

my install: http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 8525#88525
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

An Eaton M112 has got to be the cheapest, easiest to find and a relatively quiet option, my old chap has an XKR and the blower is pretty quiet, just a tiny whine to let you know it's there. There are loads of second hand ones available and should already have a ribbed pulley for your 4.6 serpentine setup, just got to modify an inlet manifold and/or mounts, sort injectors and some other modern rubbish! As Elliot said- you already have that under control so I think the biggest task is the hardware.
TC

Return to “Forced Induction”