Intercooler Options

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You can be sure that at 15psi, air temps will be too hot.

Even at 10psi they will be hot

And as r2d2 shown on his with only 7-6psi, his are already quite hot.

So there is no question that an intercooler is a sensible item.

Essential ? again depends on the overall package as I described. But very few build with the expectation of very high charge temps, so you can basically consider an intercooler an essential item in this case.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Coming back to the original problem of heating up in traffic, in comparison we run a sierra with a twin turbo 4.6, Large intercooler in front of a standard cossie rad and fans all without problems.

In terms of under hood heat buildup, your set up should be better as we have heat from the turbos to dissipate and heat also into the coolant from the turbos. We have no vents in the bonnet.

It's possible you have too much bypass coolant recirculating around the engine and bypassing the rad.
Or
Ignition timing needs to be advanced, (We run 12-14 degrees at idle)
Or
Mixture is too weak at idle. (we run 13:1 at idle and trim it a little for the MOT)
Or
Idle speed is a little low and with the fans running the alternator is not keeping up and not spinning the fans at full speed.

On my Twin turbo 5.0 Austin Hot rod, I did have some problrms with a serp type water pump which had a cast iron impeller but swopping the pump for a cheap pressed steel impeller type cured it. I was never really confident about why the pump played up but the gap around the impeller was much larger on the faulty pump.

Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

stevieturbo wrote:

Is it ??

ask yourself... how many times in a daily street car will you actually see full boost so how high will be the intake charger temps during normal daily operations.

Well Tony aint building a track car either so it will be WOT for a ¼ mile dragrace only but as he is manual shifted not full boost for the full 12-13 seconds..

Well in my case.... In normal driving conditions with my roots blown V8 Capri I wont see much boost at all as I don't need too to hold on with the modern traffic. For racing applications I have a WMI system standby.

In normal driving conditions with my turbocharged V6 Capri I wont see "full" boost much as I don't need too to go fast in a normal way of driving. So intake temps are not that high in average.
Yess offcourse, driving full WOT on a track day will be an issue with intake temps but I don't use it that way.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

JP. wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:

Is it ??

ask yourself... how many times in a daily street car will you actually see full boost so how high will be the intake charger temps during normal daily operations.

Well Tony aint building a track car either so it will be WOT for a ¼ mile dragrace only but as he is manual shifted not full boost for the full 12-13 seconds..

Well in my case.... In normal driving conditions with my roots blown V8 Capri I wont see much boost at all as I don't need too to hold on with the modern traffic. For racing applications I have a WMI system standby.

In normal driving conditions with my turbocharged V6 Capri I wont see "full" boost much as I don't need too to go fast in a normal way of driving. So intake temps are not that high in average.
Yess offcourse, driving full WOT on a track day will be an issue with intake temps but I don't use it that way.
Is it ?? of course it is

If you never use boost, then what was the point of adding it ?

And it isnt a case of full boost. If you compress air at all, it generates heat. And average charge temps are irrelevant.

Charge temperatures when using boost at any time are important. That is instantaneous, not an average of several minutes or hours. A couple of seconds boost is enough to create lots of heat.

If you want to take tuning seriously and want an efficient setup, then charge temps matter. It's as simple as that.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Forced Induction”