Old Janspeed set up

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Not amps or current capacity - Thoughts were that the connection to the brake plenum and non return valve will be put under pressure which it was never designed for - and the line will be filled with fuel air mix which again it was never designed for and this mixture could make its way into the brake plenum.

The idea of a diesel alternator is that they have a vacuum pump on the back of them for providing the vacuum for the brakes etc.

Probably a bit OTT and may be more simple to have a look at what Metro / Montego Turbos used as a Servo plenum valve.

Andrew

4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Standard brake servo non-return valves can easily cope with moderate boost pressure, the only reason Diesels have the vacuum pump is because the open inlet manifold type provide no vacuum to run the brake servo :D
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

bula

Post by bula »

Ah I see what youre getting at mate, wouldn't the valve stop that though? Sorry for dimness but this has really been testing me as I don't work on cars on a daily basis and only get to throw spanners around/skin my knucles/wipe up oil spills in my very limited spare time lol The knowledge passed on by yourself and other members has been invaluable so far, just wishing I don't lose heart and give up on the thing (been close a few times :( )

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Not sure that many of us do work on cars as a daily most of us are in the same boat as you.

The valve may well be man enough for the job as indicated by SimpleS - It was just a suggestion to check as anything blowing off from that point will be explosive gas mixture - My install had it all removed for a non servo bias set-up. I have never run a Rover with a brake servo so accordingly never seen the type of valve that would be used and if it appears suitable.

Looks a good project and certainly going in the right direction - loosing heart is when you need a couple of likeminded local shoulders to cry on - or this place :shock: :lol:

bula wrote:Ah I see what youre getting at mate, wouldn't the valve stop that though? Sorry for dimness but this has really been testing me as I don't work on cars on a daily basis and only get to throw spanners around/skin my knucles/wipe up oil spills in my very limited spare time lol The knowledge passed on by yourself and other members has been invaluable so far, just wishing I don't lose heart and give up on the thing (been close a few times :( )
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

bula

Post by bula »

Quick update and a huge thanks to all of you for the input experience and suggestions given toward the problems I was facing with my TR. You can't actually see my massive grin on the clip but believe me I was wearing one lol Tap in 'TR7v8turbo quick blast around the lanes' cheers

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

bula

Post by bula »

Cheers darkspeed, posted the last one from my phone. Not worked out how to shuffle things about yet ha ha

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

on my standard rover sd1 v8 will i need to change the compression ratio when fitting my twin turbo setup??

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

mcmental wrote:on my standard rover sd1 v8 will i need to change the compression ratio when fitting my twin turbo setup??
Not if you keep the boost low, around 8psi which is what they came with when they were fitted I believe. If you want to crank it up a bit more fit some composite head gaskets whch help to lower the comp ratio.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

:whs
I would think you would be safe a little higher than that, stick composites or similar thikness gaskets in and 12psi should be safe . . with an intercooler that is!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

kiwicar wrote::whs
I would think you would be safe a little higher than that, stick composites or similar thikness gaskets in and 12psi should be safe . . with an intercooler that is!
Best regards
Mike
Most Janspeed setups wer draw-thru so you would definitely NOT want to fit an intercooler!!! Water injection would work in place, however. My old janspeed set up had connectors on the crossover pipes (for vac takeoffs) that could have easily been modified to accept water spray jets.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

chodjinn wrote:
kiwicar wrote::whs
Best regards
Mike
Most Janspeed setups wer draw-thru so you would definitely NOT want to fit an intercooler!!! Water injection would work in place, however. My old janspeed set up had connectors on the crossover pipes (for vac takeoffs) that could have easily been modified to accept water spray jets.
You have a good point there, I sort of forgot that many early setups were draw through . . . have you considered making it blow through??
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

well ive got my composite gaskets, just need to paint the engine then start getting it all back together

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

righty ho folks ive got the turbos on and oil feds and returns and now im just sorting out all the fuel pipes etc to the carbs, ive got a red top facet pump on the car at minute but by the looks of this thread i need a malpassi filter king?? what model should i be looking at to get it correct first time??
mines draw thru as its the kit that used to belong to chod

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

as far as I'm aware the draw through would run with the std mechanical pump...... the only time you would need to worry about fuel pressure is if you run it as a blow through ;)

Return to “Forced Induction”