Old Janspeed set up

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

cheers

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

With the Redtop leccy fuelpump you'll need this :

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-cat ... pr005.html
There's also a 10mm tails version of it.

You'll need this to create a fixed steady fuel pressure which the Facet does not deliver although you may think so.

A fuel pressure gauge is also advised to dial this regulator to the setting needed for you SU carbs.
Most 1-15psi 1/8 NPt pressure gauges can be screwed in this regulator as there's a provision for it.

This has nothing to do with boost as you run suck trough. Its because the leccy fuel pump.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

thanks for that, whilst i was trolling ebay last night i found a V8 version of that, will that be any better or just more money??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-6-JIC-6-FS ... 27c4a59737

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

mcmental wrote:righty ho folks ive got the turbos on and oil feds and returns and now im just sorting out all the fuel pipes etc to the carbs, ive got a red top facet pump on the car at minute but by the looks of this thread i need a malpassi filter king?? what model should i be looking at to get it correct first time??
mines draw thru as its the kit that used to belong to chod
the filter kings are rising rate, so just fit it and fiddle to get running then tweak to get the settings right. I'm not sure how to do it myself tho lol.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

chodjinn wrote: the filter kings are rising rate, so just fit it and fiddle to get running then tweak to get the settings right. I'm not sure how to do it myself tho lol.
Nope they aren't rising rate. They don't have a boost reference at all.
And you don't have to fiddle. Just set it at 5psi with carbs.

This is a rising rate.. Its a Malpassie regulator and not a filterking.

Don't have to fiddle with it either, Just set it at 5 psi with carbs, boost reference rises it equal.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

JP. wrote:
chodjinn wrote: the filter kings are rising rate, so just fit it and fiddle to get running then tweak to get the settings right. I'm not sure how to do it myself tho lol.
Nope they aren't rising rate. They don't have a boost reference at all.
And you don't have to fiddle. Just set it at 5psi with carbs.

This is a rising rate.. Its a Malpassie regulator and not a filterking.

Don't have to fiddle with it either, Just set it at 5 psi with carbs, boost reference rises it equal.
My mistake, was tired, how do they work with the increase in boost then?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

chodjinn wrote: My mistake, was tired, how do they work with the increase in boost then?
This is for a suck through system so the carb is at atmospheric pressure all the time and there is therefore no need to have a boost sensing regulator.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DEVONMAN wrote:
chodjinn wrote: My mistake, was tired, how do they work with the increase in boost then?
This is for a suck through system so the carb is at atmospheric pressure all the time and there is therefore no need to have a boost sensing regulator.
so obvious I should slap myself! Thanks

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

chodjinn wrote: Image

My mistake, was tired, how do they work with the increase in boost then?
This is for blow through carb and one of the pipes is connected to a vacuum/boost source and rises fuel pressure with 1psi / 1psi boost.
With this you'll need a fuel pump that's capable of carb pressure + boost pressure.
Lets say 5psi standard without boost and 10psi boost so at least 15 psi in this example. As Facet red tops only do about 7 psi its ruled out..
Juts for example.
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

thanks for the answers. its alive!!!!!!! i will post video up later, going to alter the fuel regualtor today, so 5psi is ok for the twin carbs on twin turbos???

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Image[/URL]

Does the hose that comes off the carb need to be blanked off or go to the breather bottle along with the same hose from other carb?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The float chamber usually has a breather/overflow pipe which will take petrol safely away from the hot parts of the engine should the carb flood.
Probably more important to fit this overflow pipe on a V8 as the carbs are on top of the engine and moreso with a turbo installation given the very hot manifolds.
The overflow is usually drained straight down to the road as collecting fuel a bottle would be a hazard also.
Some racing events may have different rules on that.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Stupid me for not explaining it wasn't the fuel overflow I was referring to.

I mean the hose on far left just before the turbo

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

These hoses should be connected to the rocker covers VIA a flame trap.
They are connected to the constant depression chamber of the carbs and suck the fumes from the crankcase and then mix these gases in the intake and burn them with the fuel mixture.
All assuming it's a Suck through system

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Ah right so as in this picture the 2 carb hoses go to the janspeed black bottle and the rocker breathers join together and also go to the bottle,there's a filter on the fourth spigot on bottle is that ok or should it just have the 4 hoses and remove the filter?

Return to “Forced Induction”