Intercoolers??

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intercoolers??

Post by Coops »

Right,
Had a scare today took the car out and she got too hot for my liking with the current hot air temps outside, nearly 100C while cruising,
The cooling fans were on constant also,
the problem is this chuffing big cossie rs500 intercooler blocking the air flow off to the rad, as the car was always efficient in hot weather and traffic jams without the intercooler in the front, never overheated once and the fans always cut in and out as they should,
once the procharger is on I will lose an oil cooler from the front which would allow a huge high volume electric fan to go on to possibly help the puller fans on the rad,
BUT its the mean time is the worry, :(
Is going for two smaller intercoolers in each of the front of the wing areas any better??

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Intercoolers??

Post by stevieturbo »

I wouldnt be too worried about 100degC.

What temp stat etc are you using ?

During summer I stick a 71deg in mine, and try and never let it get too hot, although if it's just too warm, it'll rise to wherever it wants to rise.

And ensure only cold air can get through your rad, and all the usual stuff. I was actually surprised that mine worked well in July when I was over at Elvington, as weather was extremely warm and I did get stuck in some bad traffic. Dont think it ever went over about 95deg.

2 smaller IC's I can only imagine would be an utter mess and seriously poor performance compared to a decent IC.

Get cool air into the rad, and out, nice big puller fans if possible, ducted to pull over as much of the core as possible....and just as important a means of getting that hot air away.
If you can get an oil cooler and airflow through it, that could help a little too. But ultimately the water system needs to do the bulk of the work.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

cheers mate,

also been looking at charge coolers as an option????
just pissed off theres no room in the front of the capri to do anything with :(

something like this???

http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/ ... x&cPath=72
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I've never seen anyone anywhere say anything positive about those round barrel style coolers, so I'd be very cautious about going down that route.

But yes a chargecooler is an option....expensive one mind you, given you'll need the water core, a pump system, front core, renew pipework etc etc.

I cant comment on how good or bad these ones are ( they're made in China ), but the likes of this style of cooler seems to be the better designs.

http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic ... 89a6a72640

Oddly they seem to get away with fairly small units overall, compared to an air to air setup.

But I would be exhausting all options for getting cold air in and and hot out as best as possible, before making any massive system changes. And if I recall you did have a custom water rad made ? but it was a 2 pass ?
I'm sure Serck should know better, but it's never been a design I'd have favoured....as lets face it, how often do you see an OEM radiator that way ? Very rarely.

Previously my rads had been custom units, but last time round I just bought a Mishimoto for some BMW, as it seemed a good fit core, and good price too. So far it's worked pretty well for me, and pretty much my entire core is blocked by a 4.5" thick intercooler.
I have one large 16" Spal fan, and a smaller motorbike fan. Some day I'll make a small shroud for the 16" though, so it pulls air from more of the core as I know it could be better.

Really, if you've just hit 100degC when in slow traffic on a warm day, but at all other times it's ok. I wouldnt be doing anything drastic. There isnt a major problem that needs fixing
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

another option we have is running a slightly smaller intercooler which frees up the rad core a bit more,
then run a water/meth kit to compensate for the slightly smaller intercooler,
ive contacted Forge to see what their series 100 intercoolers support bhp wise etc,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

nearly 100C while cruising,
The cooling fans were on constant also,
I would suggest something else is wrong if it can't cool enough to turn the fans off while 'cruising'
My procharged 4.6 with a smaller rad, and much smaller engine bay (DaxRush) and intercooler covering half the rad cools fine when cruising.

I only see 100-105 sat in stop start traffic on a hot day - when on a cruise temps drop to a stable 90 odd from memory.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Forced Induction”