High Hydrocarbon readings

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

High Hydrocarbon readings

Post by Eliot »

My mate just had he westfield seight IVA'd today and it failed on hydrocarbons - which were about 4000. Fitted new plugs and it came down to 3000 - but still way over the 1200 limit. CO was down at .3 % (very low). Lambda was 1.6 iirc.

I assume that cam should work in that engine and shouldn't cause such high HC? Going to fit a megaquirt and wideband - but just wanted to make sure there's nothing fundamental i'm missing or overlooked.

Engine is 1990 3.9 v8, fully rebuilt by me, ported heads & manifold, RPI piper 285 cam. Standard Lucas hotwire ECU - which is from a range rover.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Do you want to try another ECU? - You would have to have a tame MOT tester or sniffer yourself

I have a 1990 unit in the GT40 and it gets me through emissions. On regular unleaded it is tight but on high octane stuff it sails through

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Its for the IVA, so its got to be right.

Really just looking for confirmation that the Cam is OK for the emissions. I can start picking through the other items.
Eliot Mansfield

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Basically, it's running weak at idle. A lambda of 1.6 translates into an A/F ratio of 23.5:1 - I'm surprised it runs at all. My RV8 factory setting is approx 14.1 :1 which would be 0.95 lambda.

I dunno the hotwire, but on the flapper changing to a non standard cam results in poor running somewhere in the range.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mine also ran very week at idle at SVA
Changed tune resistor and also ECU (Original had been modified by John Eales)

It now works well and meets requirements

Last year it only passed at "fast idle" this year on high octane much better

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi

I also believe the 285 cam is a lot milder and less duration then the radical JE102 cam that is in my engine

Ian

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

DaveEFI wrote:Basically, it's running weak at idle. A lambda of 1.6 translates into an A/F ratio of 23.5:1 - I'm surprised it runs at all. My RV8 factory setting is approx 14.1 :1 which would be 0.95 lambda.

I dunno the hotwire, but on the flapper changing to a non standard cam results in poor running somewhere in the range.
I agree that 1.6 is very lean, but the plugs are black and it smells very rich - which is the complete opposite.
I'm going to weld a lambda boss into the collector and take it from there.
Eliot Mansfield

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

Sounds a bit like charge robbing causing some kind of intermittent misfire condition to me.

The Piper cam is milder than the cam I have in mine that passes the catalyst test (just about without cats)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Eliot wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Basically, it's running weak at idle. A lambda of 1.6 translates into an A/F ratio of 23.5:1 - I'm surprised it runs at all. My RV8 factory setting is approx 14.1 :1 which would be 0.95 lambda.

I agree that 1.6 is very lean, but the plugs are black and it smells very rich - which is the complete opposite.
I'm going to weld a lambda boss into the collector and take it from there.
Not only does lambda 1.6 say it's lean, but low CO/high hydrocarbons confirms this. The CO should be approx 1-2%.

The condition of the plugs suggest more than one fault.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The high lambda could simply be an air leak in the exhaust. Or perhaps the engine is off a cylinder ? Similar effect.
Air getting pumped through along with unburnt fuel.

High lambda, high hydrocarbons. A wideband only tells part of the story. Pull all the plugs and check they are all getting a good solid spark.

And black plugs can mean a fuelling problem. But also an inadequate spark problem.

A cheapy Gunsons spark jumper style tool will let you check for a good spark.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I realise that a wideband only does part of the job - But if i find out why its lean or rich on the lambda, i'm hoping it may identify or lead me to the root problem.
All the plugs were equally sooty when i replaced them during the test. I do want to check the spark strength though.
Eliot Mansfield

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Reset the ECU (Power off for 30 seconds)
Restart and immediatly run like you are running in a cam 2000 rpm till it is hot

It worked on mine and seems to clear the readings from the sensors etc

Are you running Lambda sensors? in 1990 there was not a requirement to do so (year of change). likewise there were engines - no sensors, sensors and sensors with cats. it all depends what yoyr ecu is looking at and what the tune resistor colour is

Ian

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Only problem with a wideband. Is it only looks at one thing. And that can either mean lean, missfires, air leak etc etc.
But doesnt actually identify which one. So it could read very lean, yet is actually very rich. Although in this instance obviously CO doesnt indicate rich.
But could indicate missfires or just poor combustion.

And of course if the wideband is up the tailpipe, it's only measuring an average of all 8.

If you could split the exhausts to each bank, it might help pinpoint a problem on one bank at least.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Does this version of hotwire do any 'learning'? It would help to know the age.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

stevieturbo wrote:If you could split the exhausts to each bank, it might help pinpoint a problem on one bank at least.
Its got side pipes - so during the IVA we tested both sides and got the same readings.
Will double check the tune resistor, as it was missing and I made a new one up. Original vehicle was never fitted with lambdas.
Eliot Mansfield

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”