Laser cut ~RoverV8 manifold flanges.

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Laser cut ~RoverV8 manifold flanges.

Post by paulmanta »

Does anyone know if I can buy a pair of manifold flanges for a Rover V8, I want to make my own manifolds and am going to use a load of prebent tube to make them and thought laser cut plate that i can just weld the pipe to would be simplest.

I will be using 304 stainless so need the flanges to be stainless too.

I don't want 8 little flanges, i would prefer two long flanges with all the ports and bolts holes cut out.

8mm thick should be about right.

Does anyone do a kit ?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

First of 8mm thick is too thin and it will warp giving you sealing problems. They are generally individual flanges again because of warping. If you have one flange on each side and it warps, you will have to get it ground straight again where with individual ones you have a good chance of pulling it all straight on the exhaust bolts. I tried to find stainless flanges but failed when I did my headers. I ended up with 12mm individual steel ones instead, thats not to say you wont find any but I couldn't. I doubt very much anybody will carry full side flanges anyway because of the above but if thats really what you want then I think you will have to get them made for you. There is a post somewhere with someone advertising that they can do one off cutting for members.

Here you go http://v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7756

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

TVR's use a single flange per side. I could ask my son to draw it up from an old manifold I have and send it to Ralph for cutting but it would probably cost quite a bit.

Let me know if your interested

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

I think I have seen some on eBay. Can't remember what I searched for!

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

Found them: Item 250655115713

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

If you can wait until tuesday when I'm back at work, I have some on file that I had cut in 10mm and worked out pretty cheap...
TC

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

topcatproduction wrote:If you can wait until tuesday when I'm back at work, I have some on file that I had cut in 10mm and worked out pretty cheap...
Thanks, I can wait until tuesday and am interested in a set made up or just the templates if you cannot do them in 12mm.

Ok, So 8mm is too thin, I thought it might be but was hoping someone would let me know either way, 10 or 12mm was my original thought but due to the space concerns i have i am trying to cut width where possible but still let me have as smooth a bend out of the port as possible, I suppose i could have 12mm and then machine a groove a couple of mm deep into the flange so the pipe fits neatly and is sat further in, also a groove will make it easier to hold the pipes in place while i fabricate it all.

I have used a set of manifolds with individual flanges and they are an absolute bast to seal, they fit for 5 mins and then shift and leak once its all hot, the poor fit and the leakyness is why I am going to make my own.

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

paulmanta wrote: I suppose i could have 12mm and then machine a groove a couple of mm deep into the flange so the pipe fits neatly and is sat further in, also a groove will make it easier to hold the pipes in place while i fabricate it all.
That's how JP make up the TVR manifolds, have you tried asking them if they will sell you some flanges (just one per bank)
Dave

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

The thing is I am only 8 miles from Lands end In Cornwall and so have no idea who to ask or who is a good supplier for things.
Hence my post here, as a general rule i have to make or figure most stuff out by myself.

I only remembered this forum again recently. it was on my list of favorites years ago but when i got a new laptop i forgot about this place as a good source of info and parts, never mind, back now !

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Speak to Ralph85. He can cut you anything from anything on the waterjet.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

I have contacted JPexhausts about parts and maybe even doing the whole lot, depends on the price but its going to take me alot of faff, if my time plus faff plus parts equals more than them doing them plus faff getting the car to them then they get the job.

Should be interesting what they quote.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

im sure pop browns do these.

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

JP can bend pipe which makes things a fair bit faster than welding 100's of sections in 3D, and certainly in stainless the bits aren't cheap and man hours are infinite...
Dave

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Well JP have given the price to make both the manifolds, its a bit more than I expected to be honest. £500 each plus the VaT.

I had about £300 per side plus VaT in my head but I live in the sticks and normally do it all myself.

Plus they need it for a week, so that means two 700 mile round trips for me to get the car to them because its a trailer job because its in bits to do the manifolds and the rad is out and the carb is off.

I think that JP know what they are doing, I dont think the price is a rip off but with the transport and the VaT factored in its a damn expensive job.

Thinking hard now.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Why don't you contact Ralph 85 to do the flanges as per your original plan? He is also lives in cornwall, his work excellent, then you can draw up what you want.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”