TA / Wildcat heads

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

TA / Wildcat heads

Post by minorv8 »

Out of curiosity, how many TA or Wildcat heads do you guys know of ?

I have a pair of Wildcats on my engine, my mate Timo has too (OK they are being repaired at the moment). Mgbloke has a pair of TA heads.

Any others ?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TA / Wildcat heads

Post by Coops »

im running TA heads and rockers
rockers.jpg
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

1C722E1E-2667-4154-8D69-07A118929812.jpeg
Love my TA heads

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

We have Wildcats for the dragster.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

My current engine with Wildcats.
Wildcats.jpg

gp56

Post by gp56 »

I am new to the forum! I have some stage one Wildcat heads taken out of mothballs that I am going to build for a hydroplane project on a 3.9 girdled block. I have the roller rockers, heads and old style valve covers along with JE pistons and a pair of injection intakes. I may need some assistance on purchasing the correct valves, seats and springs for these heads. The heads are machined but bare. Anyone out there able to help? I have reached out to a few of the suppliers but have not been able to get any response. I am in Northeast US. thanks

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

gp56 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:54 am
I am new to the forum! I have some stage one Wildcat heads taken out of mothballs that I am going to build for a hydroplane project on a 3.9 girdled block. I have the roller rockers, heads and old style valve covers along with JE pistons and a pair of injection intakes. I may need some assistance on purchasing the correct valves, seats and springs for these heads. The heads are machined but bare. Anyone out there able to help? I have reached out to a few of the suppliers but have not been able to get any response. I am in Northeast US. thanks
You can't say 'hydroplane' and not post photos! :D

gp56

Post by gp56 »

Here is a few of my hydros. All vintage. The blue is a Buick 215 with Inglese Webers just before the ignition upgrade. the red one has a vintage hillborn mech injection with a dry sump system and extensive head work done. That engine will probably be swapped with a Rover/ Wildcat
Attachments
a711 eng.jpg
a711 2.jpg
miami1.jpg

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Are you taking the drive from the front of the engine? It looks as if it is facing backwards.

gp56

Post by gp56 »

Yes on these boats we have a chain coupler off the front crank eliminating the damper. When you start the engine you are already turning the prop. Our larger GP boats have Casale Z Drive boxes off the flywheel that have a disconnect feature.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Interesting that you do away with the crankshaft damper.

Does that not cause any side effects? like broken crankshafts?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gp56

Post by gp56 »

You would think it could but no. There is a heavy shaft and prop coupled to the front crank. You need to make sure your crank and shaft are in perfect alignment. Also the engine needs to have a solid mount to the stringers.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I am assuming that your Wildcat heads are original from Ian Richardson´s time ? It does not really matter since they all used SBC valve train components.

I uploaded some pages of a book "How to power tune Rover V8 engines" by Des Hammill to Google Drive. Here´s a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Hope they give you some ideas what to look for. My heads are newer ones made by ACR who bought the right to Wildcats. I have 1,94" / 1,6" valves, 7/16" stud mounted 1.60:1 roller rockers, beehive springs, retainers and locks, all Comp Cams stuff.

gp56

Post by gp56 »

Mine are early Ian Stage 1 heads. the valves appear to be sized as yours. I have the old valve covers as well. That info really helped. I was deciding should I sell or finish these heads but after researching them they appear to provide great performance. Probably going forward with final machining and build up. Thanks for the info!!

gp56

Post by gp56 »

Here are my heads
Attachments
wildcat5.jpeg
widcat1.jpg
wildcat7.jpeg

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”