Rocker Covers

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Stagrover

Rocker Covers

Post by Stagrover »

Hi, first post after joining but used the site for many years as a great source of info.

Decided to refresh one of my engines with refurbished rocker covers.
Current covers are the rounded Range Rover type - the engine has no number but Has the longer reach spark plugs. (I’ve not checked the depth of plug hole to be sure that is the right plug but been running the engine for 5 years)

The newer covers are the square top type but I can’t get them to fit due to a casting round the front valves fouling the cover even when I take off the splash plate inside the cover that isn’t on the rounded covers.
None of the pictures I’ve turned up show anything other than identical “exposed” valve springs.
Stupidly didn’t take a picture before replacing the cover.
Anyone recognise my description of the head and know what it might have been fitted to originally?

Thanks in advance

Stagrover

Re: Rocker Covers

Post by Stagrover »

Had a few minutes spare to take the rocker covers off again to look at the obstruction.
It is a pressing held down by the first 2 rocker shaft bolts - presumably an oil splash plate which is integrated into the later design covers in various different styles.
The question now is can the 2 rocker shaft bolts be safely removed and refitted without the splash panel whilst the head is in situ and under tension from the pushrods?

Thanks in advance for help.

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

Stagrover wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:59 am

The question now is can the 2 rocker shaft bolts be safely removed and refitted without the splash panel whilst the head is in situ and under tension from the pushrods?

Slacken off all 4 bolts evenly, then when there's no tension remove the 2 holding the baffle plate, then refit, retighten evenly and retorque.

Stagrover

Post by Stagrover »

Thanks Harvey
I wondered whether the couple of minutes taken to get the 2 bolts in and out wouldn’t stress the shaft unduly but slackening all the bolts progressively will be more gentle. Just have to hope that they don’t turn out to be untouched for 40 years and object to being disturbed.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Older RV8 used a thread sealer (ScotchClad) at the factory. Prevents the steel bolts corroding solid to the ally. And when undoing, can let go with a 'cracking' sound. It really does work. The small water pump bolts don't shear years later if it is used.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Stagrover

Post by Stagrover »

Fingers crossed then.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”