Initial cam setting

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Millionquestions

Initial cam setting

Post by Millionquestions »

I literally cannot find any question similar to this. But when inserting a cam shaft into any v8 block and before adding the cam gear how are you supposed to know what way the cam goes in? What general direction should cylinder one cam lobesbe placed? Everyone talks about degreeing the camshaft but nobody talks about how to insert it in a way that there is the least amount of adjusting needed.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Initial cam setting

Post by DaveEFI »

Set the crank to TDC on No1. Keyway on cam at 9 o'clock. But you should fit the cogs and chain before the pushrods and rocker gear, because if you turn the crank with no chain the pistons can hit the valves.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Re: Initial cam setting

Post by Richard P6 »

Millionquestions wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:07 am
I literally cannot find any question similar to this. But when inserting a cam shaft into any v8 block and before adding the cam gear how are you supposed to know what way the cam goes in? What general direction should cylinder one cam lobesbe placed? Everyone talks about degreeing the camshaft but nobody talks about how to insert it in a way that there is the least amount of adjusting needed.
Just doing mine, as Dave says piston 1 at TDC, cam key at 9.00, although there is a timing mark on the cam wheel which should point directly downwards, 6.00 o'clock.

Rover P6 4L V8
Megasquirt MS1 EDIS
5 Speed

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”