Inlet manifold bypass

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Inlet manifold bypass

Post by paul c »

I picked up my carb inlet manifold from the powdercoater today and it had developed a rattle. Eventually I was able to find out that it was part of the bypass pipe that goes to the back of the manifold had corroded and had broken off inside the manifold. I have been able to remove it but I can see holes in the front part by looking through the thermostat hole. I guess that I should bore it out and replace it. Any ideas?

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Inlet manifold bypass

Post by Mc Tool »

Picture is worth a thousand words :D
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not quite sure about this carb manifold as there are different types, so a pic would help. On the flapper manifold a heater pipe is steel and runs front to back under the manifold and these are notorious for rusting out. But screw in. An SD1 club member has had them re-made in stainless steel. Although you can DIY using domestic copper tube. On my original one which had only rusted out at the far end, I repaired it with a bit of 15mm copper tube and an end feed coupler, soldered together. I found a 1/2" to 15mm coupler fitted best after annealing it and hammering it onto the steel.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

I have found one on Rimmers site which is screw in, just hope I can screw mine out, would have been nice if the powdercoaters had let me know before they coated it, they do their own sandblasting which must have blown the holes thru it.

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

No way that is unscrewing from the manifold so will have to bore it out and get a tap to clean up the threads. Part should be here in a few days so then I can find out the thread.

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

Thread is 3/4 x16 tpi unf. I used a recipro saw to cut thru the pipe longitudinally and then stillsons to turn it and the cut allowed it to partially collapse and it unscrewed easily.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”