V8 rocker shaft bronze bushes

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

freddynav

Re: V8 rocker shaft bronze bushes

Post by freddynav »

Update.

So I have reamed all of the rockers to 22.98mm. The one on the left is original (approx 20.4mm), and the one on the right is reamed
Attachments
DF8EB394-FDE1-4A82-A622-7AF37EF2F675.jpeg

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

This is good work freddynav and is in line with my thoughts on retaining oil pressure to the rockers . A plain bearing needs a bit of pressure to operate , more than it needs high flow. The thing is most of us probly dont have either the nouse or the access to the nessesary machinery , and paying to get it done would probly cost more than a flash set of rollers and post /shaft assy . I do totally see the fun in it and if I had the gear Id be right in there too 😀
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the gap since last posting. Progress however has been made. First up was finishing the 16 bronze bushes. Oh and yes I know there are only 15 here. 16 just messed up the symmetry of the photo of the lovely shiny bits.
Attachments
A8686084-BD0F-4B2F-9B60-B7E0B64698EB.jpeg

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

Next was to press them in to the reamed out rockers. There is 10 microns interference which proved to be exactly the amount required. Had to be careful to align the oil hole which is slightly oversize in the bush to allow for a little misalignment.
Attachments
5F73343C-2A0B-4D44-B85F-7640C1DA190D.jpeg
D98C78C3-4C45-4A1F-B76B-45BBB94381CD.jpeg
DC40E426-E6B3-4C69-9401-B750BFA44B50.jpeg

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

First test fit revealed that when pressing the bushes in to the rockers they narrowed by about 6 microns so a few minutes on the honing machine brought them back to having 10 microns clearance. Next time with will be compensated for in the machining stage. Now they fit over the shafts beautifully.
Attachments
E5A631F7-F964-4139-8943-EB4DD962C83F.jpeg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Very nice.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

That's a neat looking job, got me tempted now!

Just looking at the side of the rocker, there is a small slot cast in, presumably for oil reliefe at ends, will you be extending that into the bush?

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Just looking at some photo's of my rocker assembely, one thing I'd like to do if/when I can get some machine access is to make up some billet pedastels, those case items look awfully spindly, I'd also extend the outer ones to support the end of the shaft which looks like a weakness to me.

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

Hi GDCobra.

I have been contemplating the potential ‘oil relief’ cutouts. At the moment I have decided not to extend them into the bush. Mainly because I do not see the utility for there is plenty of opportunity for oil to escape and perhaps even encourage oil to feed through the rocker onto the pushrod.

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

And talking of pedestals.........

Hopefully this weekend will see the shafts completed and fitted.
Attachments
165E1F14-34C9-4DF8-9DFE-80BEBBDD8D6E.jpeg

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

freddynav wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:06 pm

Nice!
Did you consider extending the outer ones to support the ends of the shafts?

What you need now is some clear rocker covers so you can see the fruits of your labour, would be a shame to hide it all away!

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

GDCobra wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm
freddynav wrote:

Nice!

What you need now is some clear rocker covers so you can see the fruits of your labour, would be a shame to hide it all away!
I have not considered extending the outer pedestals but simply because the thought had not occurred to me. I shall look at this when I fit these rockers for this may well be an easy modification for future iterations.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

freddynav wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 am
GDCobra wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm
freddynav wrote:

Nice!

I have not considered extending the outer pedestals but simply because the thought had not occurred to me. I shall look at this when I fit these rockers for this may well be an easy modification for future iterations.
Given what you've done so far I don't think it would be any problem for you, something I'm sure I've seen done before but may have been on different engine.

BTW, I'm just trying to remember, isn't there an oil feed through those rocker posts? Have you included that?

Sorry got to go, granny's due for her egg sucking lesson!

freddynav

Post by freddynav »

Yes there is an oil way through the pedestals. I should have taken a picture of the underside and you will see the design is similar to the original. Basically the mounting hole through the bottom of the pedestal is larger than the hole through the top part and oil flows around the mounting bolt. There is therefore a milled recess on the bottom surface to join the oil feed hole on the cylinder head to the main mounting hole on the pedestal. In essence, my ones work exactly as the original ones.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

freddynav wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 pm
Yes there is an oil way through the pedestals. I should have taken a picture of the underside and you will see the design is similar to the original. Basically the mounting hole through the bottom of the pedestal is larger than the hole through the top part and oil flows around the mounting bolt. There is therefore a milled recess on the bottom surface to join the oil feed hole on the cylinder head to the main mounting hole on the pedestal. In essence, my ones work exactly as the original ones.
I knew you'd be on top of that but thought better mention just in case, would hate to see your good work go to waste due to a small oversight.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”