3.9l exhaust manifolds

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

3.9l exhaust manifolds

Post by Mc Tool »

Getting to the exhaust stage of the engine build. I have (came with the engine ) a pair of cast dual outlet manifolds ,how good are these .....just that building a set of headers is a bit of a wriggle . I have big valve heads, ported stage 3ish and will have a fast road cam kent m228 . Are the cast manifolds going to cost me lots of hp or are they not to bad . I have already built 2 complete sets of headers for this car that have now been discarded coz I keep changing other things (mostly my mind )4-2-1 or 4-1 and then to big primaries :roll: and I just cant be arsed making another set if I dont really have to . Any body getting 225 ish hp with these manifolds ?

I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3.9l exhaust manifolds

Post by DaveEFI »

The SD1 type with the exits at the back are said to be a pretty good design. Apart from the weight, of course.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

With the LR 3.9, the view of those in the know is that there is little to be gained with aftermarket extractors over the standard exhaust manifolds. Gains are to be made in opening the system downstream from the exhaust manifolds.

Garry

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

Thanks garrycol and DaveEFI , I guess the thing to do is match the port to manifold as best as one can and go for a bigger bore system after that.
IMG_20200124_124258.jpg
Makes me think tho ,not so good pic of the exhausts (engine is a 3.5 I have parked in favour of the 3.9 serp motor ) but I had decided to discard these because the primaries are to small but they are ,at a rough measure up , bigger cross section than the cast stock ones , they are def bigger that the port opening on the heads . But the cast ones are tidier... :)
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”