Lambda LSU4.2 or 4.9?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Lambda LSU4.2 or 4.9?

Post by Seight-V8 »

Looks like my engines killed another 2 lambda sensors.....

Only fitted them last year, and cars only been run a handful of times, now they only read a max of 13.3%...in free air.....they were fine last year when I fitted them.

Getting sick of replacing them, just wondering if the LSU4.9 ones are better, my ECU can use either with a slight mod.

Can only presume over fuelling has killed them, as they look fine.....

Maybe an gunson exhaust gas analyser might be better to start with to get the initial tune right, before wasting more sensors?

thanks
scott

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lambda LSU4.2 or 4.9?

Post by DaveEFI »

Where are they located? If they are too close to the engine, excessive heat kills them. You sort that to some extent by raising them out of the direct gas stream.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

It might be your controller cooking them. Read the 'smart sensor warmup' bit of this page https://ldperformance.co.uk/product/wid ... ontroller/

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

More importantly....what controller ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I had nothing but grief with innovate was killing at least 4 sensors a year (2 either bank)
Did everything they said bought heat sinks etc still failed swapped to PLX controllers sensors still in the same places and we are still on the same sensors a year later
Work that one out innovate said nothing wrong with there controller I beg to differ
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I was told to stay clear of Innovate as it didn't have separate power and signal grounds. So went for Tech Edge all those years ago, as they also did a self assembly kit. And I like building such things.
On the SD1, I mounted the sensor where the pipes combine, so no problems with excessive heat. But once the system is up to temperature, the internal heater never comes on. MS can compensate for the distance from the engine. It must be at least 10 years old and still working fine.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I bought my Innovate from a chap on hear who used to sell them and its still working fine. Seen EGT temps of 800 degrees C and no problem so far

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Innovate were a nightmare really.

Definitely more than their fair share of "sensor failures"...which in reality was due to their controller.

I've changed to different controllers and used those same "faulty" sensor for a few years without issue ! Innovate did make some great products, but despite them claiming how they run the sensor being better than everyone else....including Bosch themselves....well no, it isnt better. It's bloody unreliable ! lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

I have an innovate as recommended by the MS crowd - wish I had know of the issues raised and I would have looked elsewhere.

garry

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It was the MS forum that told me not to use Innovate. :D I didn't have an opinion on them before getting MS. Favourite these days seems to be Spartan.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

thanks everyone,

I've made a few changes in my VEMS ecu, turned "Enable at startup" off, so now they wont enable start straight away when the key is turned, and set the "warm up delay" to 240secs, to give then a chance to get passed the condensate phase.

I've Ordered some more LSU4.2 ones, as the LSU4.9 need some internal wiring and at the moment, I just want enough to be able to get some road miles.

I need to retune the VE table yet, so no point if the lambdas cant be trusted.....

If I'm still getting issues with these I might look for something better.....

regards
scott

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Spartan fan here :nw they just work and no voltage offset issues like I had with my Innovate LM2 (even grounded in the same place as MS and splitting heater and sensor grounds) :roll: lots of glitches and freezing on initial purchase of the LM2 until about 2 firmware updates in :| but as a stand alone its OK relegated to its original carry case nowadays though, but Spartan 1 and later 2 are just trouble free
Attachments
IMAG1890.jpg
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

As regards positioning, this might help:-

https://www.wbo2.com/lsu/position.htm
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I had severals years of trouble with two Innovate LM-1 units. Lots of "dead" sensors and typical explanations (sensor location, grounding etc). One of the units was sent back to USA for warranty repairs and came back (naturally) with "no problems whatsoever". I tested heat sinks,various locations but to no avail. Finally bought an AEM wide band and have not had issue ever since. Same sensor, same location. Maybe Innovate makes too sensitive equipment for automotive use :lol:

Sensor location is an interesting thing: if you look where the OEM sensors are located, often they are rather close to the engine. Why does a typical Bosch sensor survive there for 100-150 K miles and only a short time with Innovate unit ?

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

garrycol wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 pm
I have an innovate as recommended by the MS crowd - wish I had know of the issues raised and I would have looked elsewhere.

garry
Well it looks like I have done my $$$$ - sensor installed but not yet connected electrically. I guess I will use until it fails and get something else. :cry:

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”