Oil pump

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Deiseldel

Oil pump

Post by Deiseldel »

Hi all. I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a Rover 3.5 v8 in my Stag which is giving me oil pressure problems. Having refitted the engine and primed the oil pump all was good on start up. I stopped the engine and heard a gurgling sound further sump. When the engine was started again the oil light stayed on and only goes out at 3000rpm. Anyone got any advice?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Oil pump

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd be looking for a leak somewhere along the pickup.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Deiseldel

Post by Deiseldel »

Just had the sump off and fitted a new gasket where the pick up pipe meets the block. Couldn't see any other fault. I'm at the end of my patience now so any help is appreciated.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Just to check - this fault has come on quickly?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Check for leaks around the oil pump
If oil gets out air gets in when the engine is not running

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Oil pumilter.

Post by Ian Anderson »

Not sure if it will cause this but change the make of oil filter
Some have the required non return valve and some makes do not!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaxLaxV8

Post by DaxLaxV8 »

I believe the pressure relief piston has picked up and stuck open. I have had the same problem. Do not run the engine. Remove the pump and check that the piston is in the closed position. If not it has jammed. Find an engine rebuild company. They will hone to pump body and replace the piston and spring; it doesn't cost anymore to uprate to the MG spring. Mine cost me £30, as well as vapour blast and general overall. Its worthwhile checking the condition of the two rotors and the condition of the face plate. This is an awful lot cheaper than a new pump, and they are difficult to find; reconditioned is possible but still expensive. Oh, I fitted a powerful magnet to the sump plug to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Deiseldel

Post by Deiseldel »

Thanks for your responses. I have been told by a rover v8 mechanic to refill with vaseline and try again but to leave the engine running for longer. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
On another note does anyone know what jet size is best in a Weber 38dgas carburettor for the Rover v8 3.5.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Deiseldel wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 am
Thanks for your responses. I have been told by a rover v8 mechanic to refill with vaseline and try again but to leave the engine running for longer. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
On another note does anyone know what jet size is best in a Weber 38dgas carburettor for the Rover v8 3.5.
I agree with Daxlaxv8 so make sure you check that relief valve before you run it again. It used to be bpssible to get a spherical valve which has less chance to stick, think I've got one in mine.
If you pack the pump with Vaseline you should get pressure almost immediately, I don't think running for any extemded time without oil pressure is good advice!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

GDCobra wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Deiseldel wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 am
I agree with Daxlaxv8 so make sure you check that relief valve before you run it again. It used to be bpssible to get a spherical valve which has less chance to stick, think I've got one in mine.
If you pack the pump with Vaseline you should get pressure almost immediately, I don't think running for any extemded time without oil pressure is good advice!
Agreed to that. I've packed many pumps, and if the pressure comes up it stays up. You don't get sort of airlocks with oil.

I've not had a reply as to whether this condition came on suddenly. Like when doing work which caused the oil pump to drain. Or is a bit of a red herring.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Deiseldel

Post by Deiseldel »

The engine had been out of the car for a sump gasket to be replaced which involved removing the oil filter. Before start up I ran the oil pump via the dissy hole got oil pressure. Started up and pressure was ok. Stopped the engine after a short run. Heard a glugging sound from the sump and on restart no oil pressure.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”