classicfuelinjection.co.uk Rover V8

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

classicfuelinjection.co.uk Rover V8

Post by ratwing »

Does this look like a good thing, it's just something I've been wondering about.

https://www.classicfuelinjection.co.uk

I had my SU's set up on a rolling road and although it runs well it seems a bit on the rich side and sometimes hesitates a bit at wide throttle/low revs. (the needles were altered by filing a flat down them so I can't measure them up to look for similar sized needles and I'm also wondering if the sharp edges are wearing the jets)

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: classicfuelinjection.co.uk Rover V8

Post by richardpope50 »

It does indeed look interesting but it does seem a little expensive vs how much performance and / or efficiency you may get out of it. Why not go with a Lucas Hotwire system that I am sure you can get easily - may not be easy to fit it, though, in yu car.

As I have a MegaSquirt EFI system it does seem as though possibly they are using the MegaSquirt ECU in their kit as that can tune itself. Their info is not obvious as to how they do it but I would want to take a trip to visit them. My guess is tat they do not really make much themselves.

I have made a note of them as I could well be looking for a system for my TR6 restoration project although I am a year or two away from the fuel system. Thanks for the link!
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It looks to be basically throttle body injection. Nothing like as good as port injection - and given you can buy all the bits for that easily and cheaply, can't really see the point.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

All that expense fuel only and no mapped ignition? :roll: missing a trick there unfortunately :?
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Cheers for the replies, maybe not such a good system then? My initial thoughts were that it seems a good way to get around the carb needle issues whilst being simple to install and keeping things looking fairly standard (I really don't want to go Megasquirt or factory type efi).
It claims to improve economy/performance (not my major concern but would be a bonus) and be self-learning although I can't figure out if that means you have to leave it connected to a laptop and download something every time you drive somewhere or not.
I reckon I'm going to have a think about paying them a visit and see what they have to say.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's hardly going to keep things looking standard, although I suppose it might look a bit like a downdraft carb.
At the end of the day it would depend on just how complete a kit of parts and mapping they supply for the cost. Which is going to be a great deal more than sorting your SU carbs.

To self tune, it's going to need a wideband O2 sensor installed. That is well worth while even with your existing carbs. Takes much of the guesswork out of tuning.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

I thought the injectors were in an adapter that goes between the carb and manifold but if not and the carbs are replaced by some sort of throttle body arrangement then I won't bother.
I've got a threaded socket on each exhaust, one per side, they were welded in to take O2 sensors for the rolling road carb setting up session but I have no idea at all how I would go about using these so need to do some reading up and find out.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I built and fitted a Tech Edge O2 system to my SD1 before going MegaSquirt. But fitted the sensor after the pipes combine. That, as well as working with a MegaSquirt, etc, can run stand alone with a dash readout of lambda or AFR, and allow you to logs things too, with a laptop. If only to be used in conjunction with an MS, etc, there is the much cheaper Spartan and you can fit a dash gauge to that too. There are also some that can work with two sensors, but dunno much about those.
it was quite a revelation seeing what the Lucas injection actually did when on the move. It explained why it felt flat at low revs and medium throttle - it was running too weak under those conditions.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”