Pipemax Exhaust Software

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

oneaves2005

Pipemax Exhaust Software

Post by oneaves2005 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have the Pipemax exhaust calculator software? i'm looking to run through some specs and see what it calculates as the ideal exhaust system for a full race engine. I have used various free basic online calculators and they seem to differ a lot. Just thought i'd see if anyone has it before purchasing?

We have experience of running two different exhaust systems on the same engine and the differences were huge, one system used 40mm OD Primaries and the other used 1.75" OD Primaries. The smaller OD provided a better spread of power but was overtaken from 5700 onwards, the low down gains far exceeded the top end loss though. My view is that 1.625" primaries would work best, although it would be useful to back that up with some detailed maths. Also, both systems were 4-1 with long headers (approximately 32") into a 2.5" pipe. Both banks then joined to a single 2.5" pipe (single exit system is required). All of the calcs I have used suggest that 2.5" is too small, although the current power figures appear to exceed (considerably) the theoretical maximums that some sources claim a 2.5" pipe is capable of. The engine will use a single plane crankshaft, so we don't need to get into joining pipes from one bank to the other.

Thanks in advance.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Pipemax Exhaust Software

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi
Before any calculation is possible we would need to know capacity and make of engine for a start

In
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. Rover V8, 71.12mm stroke, 96mm bore with a Flat Plane Crankshaft.

Kind Regards

Ollie

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I remember I saw something at Gt40 S about this
https://www.gt40s.com/threads/tuning-hi ... ost-293680

That was one and Adam C did a fluid dynamics model.

I would be running 1.5 inch pipe for your primaries and all reading points to collectors around 17 inches long.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”