Calculating compression ratio - have I got this right?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Calculating compression ratio - have I got this right?

Post by sidecar »

Your method of timing up the engine seems OK to me. SU carbs are not my thing so I don't know if the vac system is in operation at idle. After many experiments on my engine I have found that it needs a lot of ignition advance at idle, from memory it is around 32 degrees. My vac system makes up about 16 degrees of the idle timing because it is in operation at idle, the other 16 required to make the 32 is obtained by the static timing. At idle my engine is running with 32 degrees but if I boot the throttle it will back off to 16, of course the mechanical advance will start adding some timing as the revs rise. My total advance at WOT is 32 degrees but only above 5500 RPM. My total advance when under high vacuum (cruise) is 48 degrees.

I guess if the noise that you hear can be made to come and go depending on the all in timing figures then that would indicate that the noise is probably pinking.

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Calculating compression ratio - have I got this right?

Post by ratwing »

Problem solved at last, I couldn't get consistent idle/full advance readings so removed the distributor and it had a lot of vertical play and the Lumention 'chopper' was a loose fit on the shaft too...
I decided to send it off to be fixed (Distributor Doctor) and my 49 year old one came back virtually feeling like a new one. It's fitted and timed up and the engine is running just fine now.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”