Inlet manifold

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jonnyh

Inlet manifold

Post by Jonnyh »

Hi , I've recently bought a landrover series with a standard RoverV8 fitted on SU's
I've got a water leak from under under the inlet manifold so I've removed the inlet manifold and it's the core plug
Question is the pipe running through the inlet manifold when I've removed the core plug (I think for the heater) is corrode so is this ok or will I need another manifold or can I replace it somehow
The heater pipes at the rear of the manifold are joined with a hose by passing the heater
Hope this makes sence .
Thanks in advance Jon
Attachments
image.jpeg

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Inlet manifold

Post by unstable load »

I think it won't be an issue if the pipes are joined together. The only issue I can see is trapped air bubbles messing with your water level. Maybe put rubber caps on the pipes to minimise the volume where air can be trapped?
Cheers,
John

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

i think the posted is stating that the pipes have corroded and have holes in them - I believe you can just not attach the coolant hoses at the front of the manifold if you are not using the heater matrix.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Eliot wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 pm
i think the posted is stating that the pipes have corroded and have holes in them - I believe you can just not attach the coolant hoses at the front of the manifold if you are not using the heater matrix.
I could be reading it all wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...

The way I read it was that his pipes have corroded through and the stubs are linked with a loop of pipe that bypasses the heater.

This will allow the water in the manifold to enter the pipes, so if they aren't "plugged" (in his case by joining them together) they will allow the water to escape the engine. Not connecting the heater pipes will effectively mean the holes are open to atmosphere and will result in coolant loss.

Plugging them should restore manifold watertight integrity and prevent leakage.
If he wanted to use the heater, he could always run external pipes to the heater.
Cheers,
John

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Seems like the the manifold coolant return pipe is corroded - This doesn't matter as long as it isn't corroded outside of the manifold - the core plug should seal the manifold so if this is leaking will need a new one sealed in.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-90611532

ImageSU inlet manifold RV8 by t c, on Flickr
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Unbolt the heater outlet pipe and see if the pipe is connected to it - Most don't have a tube that goes all the way to the front just a stub on the flange - maybe that one has an extended inner pipe to pick up the water where it is the hottest at the front of the engine. being perforated will make no odds really.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”