Range Rover 3.5 on Strombergs

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

vanquishspirit

Range Rover 3.5 on Strombergs

Post by vanquishspirit »

A little while ago I fitted SD1 heads to my very early Range Rover. I noticed immediately that it had much improved pull and torque and was quite impressed that this was down to the bigger intake valves. I think the exhausts stayed the same. Recently though I have restored another Range Rover and felt that it had a much better mid range than the first one. Its on standard heads , carbs and the smaller valves. It occurred to me that I had not up jetted the carburettors even though I would be sucking in more air through the increased inlet. My question is whether the collected wisdom out there would agree with that analysis. Its running on 2AQ needles as standard. It would be very easy to reference the needles used by the Range Rover when it also had the later heads fitted from new about 1976 but the carburettors also changed then and incorporated the enrichment device on the side and also started to get greater emission items fitted to them. They also changed from a mixture adjustment on the bottom of the carb to the later type adjusted from the top. Whether that altered the needles I am unsure, but its hard comparing apples with apples. I guess I can buy some richer needles and give it a go but would be interested in viewpoints and advice please. thanks andrew

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”