Washer style valve stem oil seals RV8

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Washer style valve stem oil seals RV8

Post by Prophead »

first of all apologies for all the numpty newbie questions.....

Still trying to determine if I have one or two different issues generating my blue smoke.

Anyway, the question:-
How are the washer style inlet valve stem oil seals supposed to be installed? (unfortunately numerous google searches have not been able to give me a definitive answer on this)

Reason I am asking is that initially it looked like mine were all AWOL because none of the inlet valve guides had any kind of seal at the top of them, great I found my main issue. Then I got the mirrors and torch out and discovered that in fact all 8 are actually present, they are all sitting at the top of the valve stems just under the bottom of the spring collars. Is this were they are supposed to be? As this would only seal when the valves are fully open, not whilst they are opening.

I am fully aware now that this type of seal is a) rubbish and b) was an intermediary 'fix' by Rover. I am just trying to either rule them in or out as a main suspect for my blue smoke.

Thanks again!

Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Washer style valve stem oil seals RV8

Post by ChrisJC »

There's nothing to fix their position on the valve stem. You could try moving them down so they sit on top of the valve guide, then they will quickly find their position. But I suspect they will end up where they are now...

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Oil is most needed where the rocker operates the valve. A seal anywhere in the stem helps limit that oil running down the stem.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Prophead »

Thanks again guys.
For now then I will rule the stem seals out. Which puts me back to sticky, worn, gap aligned or broken rings.
Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”