Ported plenum adjustments

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Ported plenum adjustments

Post by gd302 »

Ive just fitted a 72mm ported plenum to my Tvr chimaera 3.9 with the 14cux, but am having a hard time setting it up.
The problem i have is that the throttle butterfly with the engine running at idle is quite tight, its almost impossible to drive the car as the throttle pedal is tight and hard to control. The cable itself is ok and isnt the issue.
Ive adjusted the grub screw to open the butterfly slightly but then my revs are then far too high which i dont think i can get back down.
Does anyone have any tips or has set one up before?
Thanks in advance.

Westfield Seight 3.5 RV8

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Ported plenum adjustments

Post by ChrisJC »

I thought that the butterfly should be fully closed at idle, and that the idle speed is controlled by the stepper motor. That being the case, if the butterfly is not perfectly centralised on the spindle, it might jam a bit; it's adjustable I think if you loosen the two screws, close it and retighten.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by gd302 »

Thanks i will give it a try.
I think some cars have some very small clearances to help stop the initial sticking when the engine is running. Not sure either.
Westfield Seight 3.5 RV8

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I know nothing about EFI, Edelbrock carbs are my thing but it does sound like a similar thing that you have to do with the Edelbrock carbs, basically make sure that any throttle stop screw is backed right off, then slacken the screws that hold the butterflies just enough so that the butterflies can move with a bit of effort then shut the throttle and hold it shut whilst you re-tighten the screws. The main thing is to remember to back off the throttle stop screw when doing this.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

There are mechanical ways of varying how far the throttle moves relative to the pedal. To give more pedal movement at low throttle. The Rover P6 V8 had such a system. Something like a snail cam.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

(I make the 72mm plenums)
As described above, you need to centralise the throttle plate inside the bore. There's two screws that clamp it, the ends of the screws are flared apart to retain them - you may be able to loosen them enough without squashing the threads back together in order to be able to recentralise the throttle plate.
Once they are loose, close the throttle fully and centralise the plate - then gently nip the screws back up.

If i'm honest, a 72mm plenum is unnecessary on a 3.9 engine - unless it's making close to 300 bhp, which isn't going to happen on a n/a engine.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Incidentally, the Land Rover manual for my flapper EFI states that the adjustable throttle stop should be set with the butterfly just slightly open at idle. About a couple of thou.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by gd302 »

Thanks, I’m on stop at the moment as I’ve sent the plenum back. I’m not happy With the work.
Great weather and no car to use :(
Westfield Seight 3.5 RV8

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Even as someone who sells 72mm plenums, I would have to ask why you think you need a 72mm plenum?
What other supporting work have you carried out? Do you still run an air flow meter?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

My mate and I had some fun on rolling road 1,5 years ago. We mapped my 4.6 engine. I have a modified Rover plenum with front mounted 75 mm throttle body but no air fuel meter. With that setup it gave 314 hp at 6000 rpm. We then fitted a 34 mm restriction, made a pull and got 222 hp at 5000 rpm. The engine ran to 6200 rpm with no issues. I have since reduced the restriction to 25 mm orifice and the engine still runs nicely.

For what its worth maybe the restriction in std Rover setup is not the throttle size.

Gerro

Post by Gerro »

minorv8 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:55 am
My mate and I had some fun on rolling road 1,5 years ago. We mapped my 4.6 engine. I have a modified Rover plenum with front mounted 75 mm throttle body but no air fuel meter. With that setup it gave 314 hp at 6000 rpm. We then fitted a 34 mm restriction, made a pull and got 222 hp at 5000 rpm. The engine ran to 6200 rpm with no issues. I have since reduced the restriction to 25 mm orifice and the engine still runs nicely.

For what its worth maybe the restriction in std Rover setup is not the throttle size.
Good trials on adjustment. We may try a few settings too soon, just finishing up the installation of new rack and tonneau cover for the kayak mount on the pick up truck. Gonna start with 25mm

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”