Edelbrock 1404 4-barrel onto RV8.

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

88v8

Edelbrock 1404 4-barrel onto RV8.

Post by 88v8 »

My first involvement with a 4-barrel.

I have this 1404 I bought years ago for a previous vehicle but never fitted.
Was on a Rover V8, so the seller said, now it's going onto my SD1 3.5.

I want to use the PCV port which is in the front, or should be. There's an alloy plug in there, looks pressed in, not a hex, is it possible to remove it?

Would upload a pic but can't see how.

At the back of the carb in the corresponding position there's a 3/8" hose connector with a very small venturi. Presumably I can just blank that off?

Thanks.

88V8, SIII, Ambo 327

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Prophead »

Hi,
Firstly, yes you can use the 4 barrel with the rv8. I have the 3.5 Vitesse engine in my Porsche 924 with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. As far as I can see the PCV port is pressed in, but mine is a hose attachment that I have capped, this is how they come out the box. I'm running a different breather setup (no longer the one in the pics).

The 3/8" hose connector on the rear is the vacuum port for a brake booster.

You can download a user / set-up manual from the Edelbrock website, very useful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144556909 ... res/76a0ed

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/
Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

88v8

Post by 88v8 »

Ahh, thankyou.

Yes, that front port is the one I want to use, but there's no hose connector in there just an ally plug.

I'm using a JWR/Offenhauser dual-port manifold which has a rear port for the servo so I could blank the rear carb connector.

Otoh, I suppose I could put a bigger connector in the rear and connect it to the left rear rocker box via a pcv valve, and connect the air cleaner to the front right flame trap so the gases have somewhere to go at wot.

Very neat engine bay in your car. Was there a drawback with the catch tank setup?

Ivor
88V8, SIII, Ambo 327

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Prophead »

Unfortunately the hose on the catch tank were too small diameter so it was trying to blow out of the little mushroom inlet. Shame as it was such a neat looking solution. I now have 2 TVR style oil / flame traps that screw into the top of the rocker covers, one on each side and have topped them with to atmosphere breather filters. However I have not run this setup yet as the car is in pieces right now.
Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

88v8

Post by 88v8 »

Mmm, that might work for you, provided there are good splash baffles below the outlets. Otherwise those little filters will clog up with oil mist in no time.

Crankcase venting can be a lot of bother.

Ivor
88V8, SIII, Ambo 327

88v8

Post by 88v8 »

And as you've kindly taken the trouble to reply, you may find this interesting.
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,60224,page=1

Avoiding oil leaks is important, I guess, on a track car.. If crankcase pressure cannot escape via the scavenging system it will come out through the seals, and the resultant oil leaks I presume will fail scrutineering.
Which would be a pity.

Ivor
88V8, SIII, Ambo 327

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”