TRS TA Performance Cylinder heads

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Crickey. I managed to break the crank in a standard MGB - twice.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

chodjinn wrote:Reminds me of that 1000bhp MGB project from last year:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/im- ... going-mgb/

Interesting from an engineering point of view, but a bit pointless really.
The car is still being worked on at Chris Isaac's,be good to see it finished and run with them cylinder heads

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

chodjinn wrote:Reminds me of that 1000bhp MGB project from last year:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/im- ... going-mgb/

Interesting from an engineering point of view, but a bit pointless really.
Thats Jay Shalders MGB. I have to admit that he's going for it big time :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

so hows the outcome looking on these heads?

also any updates on the following please.:

1: I gather you cant use the stock rover rocker gear but have to use roller rockers.?

2: the stock rover sd1 etc rocker covers fit, and can be used with the after market roller rockers?

3: No inlet gasket, a tin valley gasket is used instead and supplied but cut up rover inlet gasket to seal inlet and water ways to manifold?

4: standard Inlet manifolds from the rover v8 fit the TA heads.

5: Need hollow pushrods to feed the oil up to the roller rockers?

6: need to measure the pushrods and not an off the shelf pushrod for said set up as like the rover v8 set up.

7: exhaust ports 3/4" higher so may need exhaust manifold work to fit but same mounting flanges as per rv8

think that's it lol ;)
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Correct on all 7 accounts,
I have an adjustable length checking pushrod you can borrow,
Pushrods are available in .100 increments,
When I first started mine,I left the r/c's off,and manually squirted oil on the rockers until oil came up on its own,which seemed an eternity !
The alloy valley gasket is a tight fit,but will need sealing !
I cut up a manifold gasket and "glued" it too the manifold prior to fitting

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Thanks Bryan :)
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Triumph-V8

Post by Triumph-V8 »

Interesting!
I read through all the 12 pages and must admit
that is really good power!

I have the 5.3 litre with the Merlins and Ford Pinto pistons.
Also I went the same way with Ford roller rockers in 1.7 and the
hollow pushrods with suitable hydraulic lifters from Real Steel.
Cheers
Andreas

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

The TA heads are great but I have had a miserable time with the engine management.
Had the throttle bodies and Canems ECU fitted professionally and since then have had problems. When the new 5.0L engine was fitted with the TA heads earlier this year it made good power and torque on the RR but still had intermittent misfire issues. feel like I have been all round the houses trying to get it sorted.
1st I was told it was due to throttle bodies need setting up. then was told that my 60amp alternator was causing the problem and that I needed to fit larger one, I fitted 120amp alt which made no difference. Then was told that the coil packs were faulty bearing in mind they were nearly new. That made no difference either.
Finally they replaced the Canems ECU, ran better but really rich even after re mapping. was so rich I thought my lambda sensor was broken.
Each time it went back I had a hefty bill to pay.
Now the 5.0L is having new rings and a hone after only 500 or so miles because of smoking from exhaust.

So frustrating.
Wish I had stuck to a carb.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

clip of the smoking problem.

A leak down test showed that some cylinders were leaking 25%

as a matter of interest took it to a different rolling road which showed
435bhp

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Never even heard of canems ECU, and surprised you even considered a non-rolling road mapping session?
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

chodjinn wrote:Never even heard of canems ECU, and surprised you even considered a non-rolling road mapping session?
I've heard of Canems, but have no experience of it. I'm sure it's fine if you have a decent installer and tuner who knows it well. But it's not going to be so easy to get help with as MegaSquirt, if you have problems with your pro.

I've never been near a rolling road and managed to get my SD1 with MegaSquirt running pretty well using VE analyse live on Tuner Studio in conjunction with a wideband.

I'm sure a decent rolling road session could dot the 'i's, but not needed to get it near enough right.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

chodjinn wrote:Never even heard of canems ECU, and surprised you even considered a non-rolling road mapping session?
Canems gets some good reviews, a few TVR RV8 boys use em with good success but professionally installed I might add, one guy even uses a very advanced dual fuel system using a Canems ECU on a Chimaera RV8 8-) I also had not heard of them either till recent years 8)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Triumph-V8

Post by Triumph-V8 »

DaveEFI wrote: I've never been near a rolling road and managed to get my SD1 with MegaSquirt running pretty well using VE analyse live on Tuner Studio in conjunction with a wideband.
Fully agree to that.
If you have MegaSquirt no rolling road is needed, its advantage is limited that
you do not have to risk your life on the street and bad weather might make
it impossible to aply full load.

But all the nasty circumstances, that make driving not perfect, can be
logged and viewed at home several times and the remedy can be well
planed and programmed instead quick and dirty on the bench due to the
costs and operator waiting behind.

Also I found it different when car is accelerated under full throttle in lower or higher gears.
All that can be checked and logged and tweaked with MS!
You test under same conditions as you will drive later.
That is a huge benefit!
Cheers
Andreas

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

DaveEFI wrote:
I've heard of Canems, but have no experience of it. I'm sure it's fine if you have a decent installer and tuner who knows it well. But it's not going to be so easy to get help with as MegaSquirt, if you have problems with your pro.

I've never been near a rolling road and managed to get my SD1 with MegaSquirt running pretty well using VE analyse live on Tuner Studio in conjunction with a wideband.

I'm sure a decent rolling road session could dot the 'i's, but not needed to get it near enough right.
Pretty much, I can only see a Dyno paying off in finding max advance and possibly load sites and thats debatable unless you have made major changes to the engine config i.e avoiding knock etc I think the RV8 advance curve is much of a known nowadays give or take 8) I have carried out two MS installs both self mapped :)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I cannot speak from experience as I've never actually had a car mapped, but I appreciate that it can be done without rolling road, and massive fair play to those that have/can do that. I haven't got the money to spend £10k+ on an engine, but if I did I would make sure I used the best reputable tuners I could find and not try it myself with something like megasquirt. That goes even more so for a higher strung race engine. That's not to anyone btw, before I get flamed again. I know it must be a nightmare if there are issues doing the final tuning, I'm pretty sure it will happen to me shortly when I get mine running! :o
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”