Shell fuel save petrol any thoughts.

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Shell fuel save petrol any thoughts.

Post by Big woof »

Hi all I have begun using shell fuel save petrol as I have found that super market petrol has been giving me lots off starting problems and another reason.
I have been reading on many forums about it and also the Internet about the pros and cons off the fuel. Personally I have always believed that they was no difference between posh petrols and super market fuel but I must admit I have been converted.
Anyone got any thoughts on it experiences with posh petrol's [/i]

Land rover discovery 3.9 Hotwire v8 nick named Christine.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

When they first advertised Optimax,they showed a head removed and how clean it was after x amount of miles.
At the time,my daily had a hg failure,I put a recon head on it,then only run it on Optimax.After 10k I had failure again,! My head was filthy,nothing like what was advertised.
I don't use it anymore,good old supermarket petrol for me

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Optimax gave me about 3 mpg more, and always ran better up the 1/4 on optimax
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

I used to always use the super market petrol but it started giving me a problem after a while some off it was mechanical but the fuel is doing what it advertises with mine the injectors are getting cleaned out. The engine is running much much better so far this is my second tank off it and the engine does seem to run a lot smoother and more powerful then before.
Same as you Dave I was very sceptical off the benifits off the cleaning ability off a petrol to clean up the valves and the inlet side off things due to injection off the fuel into the cylinder with out the fuel ever touching the inlet side off things. I defiantly won't be going back to super market petrol and if I do it wil be the super unleaded and a bottle of fuel treatment if I do use it again.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

It has been proved time over that the difference between petrol brands, supermarket and premier types etc. is barely measurable. It's not worth the additional cost.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

I watched a old 5th gear only they used a golf gti that was quite new on a rolling road rigged up to cans off various fuels. The only one that proved extra Bhp was the shell v power of something like 1 Bhp extra.
But I was wondering I'f some one had used it in a car that had already been run a few years on the road and did they notice a difference in the running off there car on it cleaner smoother.

My v8 discovery seems to like the fuel save petrol quite a bit seems to be less coughing and spluttering like it used to do on the super market petrol as for mpg well with a v8 that is going to be hardly noticeable lol but it does seem to last longer on the fuel save petrol and does take a couple off tanks to make a difference though.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I always stop at the same garage to fill with V Power for racing. Mainly because i like to think that I'm getting the same fuel each time. My only complaint to that garage about 3 times in the last 3 years is the amount of grit I see in the tank and glass filter after about 10 gallons has gone through.

The cashiers say they will tell the manager but I never hear anything back.

I now filter the fuel twice before it gets to the pumps.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

My BMW car has a pretty accurate average MPG OBC. When I first got it I brimmed it over several tanks noting the mileage and fuel added and worked out the MPG. Which was within a gnat's whisker of what the OBC said.

At the time, I was travelling from London to the north of Scotland pretty regularly, which used near enough a full tank of fuel. I experimented with different makes and octane ratings. And got no results which were conclusive.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Big woof wrote:I watched a old 5th gear only they used a golf gti that was quite new on a rolling road rigged up to cans off various fuels. The only one that proved extra Bhp was the shell v power of something like 1 Bhp extra.
But I was wondering I'f some one had used it in a car that had already been run a few years on the road and did they notice a difference in the running off there car on it cleaner smoother.
Was the V Power test towards the end of the tests? Did they conduct all the tests again in reverse order? If it were a near new engine, it could well loosen up during full power testing.

My v8 discovery seems to like the fuel save petrol quite a bit seems to be less coughing and spluttering like it used to do on the super market petrol as for mpg well with a v8 that is going to be hardly noticeable lol but it does seem to last longer on the fuel save petrol and does take a couple off tanks to make a difference though.
If it's coughing and spluttering, that's nothing to do with the fuel. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I believe most of the reported savings or improvements for such fuels are in large part a placebo effect. Particularly if you are spoending 10p a litre more (or whatever it is) the driver will WANT to see an improvement or feel even more ripped off!!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

chodjinn wrote:I believe most of the reported savings or improvements for such fuels are in large part a placebo effect. Particularly if you are spoending 10p a litre more (or whatever it is) the driver will WANT to see an improvement or feel even more ripped off!!
Do you think if I put race fuel and nitrous into my rover 75 I would save money on fuel? :D
If so can you put that into a coherant argument I can put to the wife? Unfortunally she does not believe me about any "cheep modes of transport" anymore since I argued my Laverda would be "a cheap method of commuting to work" then spent a small fortune rebuilding the thing three times.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

From what I saw on 5th gear the tested the cheapest to the most expensive petrols that claimed to increase Bhp just the fuel it's self no mods and after every tank they flushed the system thourgh with normal petrol and started the process all over at the end off the runs they announced the winner as v power then proceded to do a track test with the same car. And she said what she was feeling thourgh the car and response things like that.

My question was had some one used just this one fuel and then stripped the engine to check the claims off shell in the real world situation.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You will only get meaningful results with an engine on a dyno. There are way too many variables with a complete vehicle.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

We're all the fuels on test the same octane rating?

If you tune your car on 95 and then put in 98,99 or 100 octane your car will show/fell better performance.

But at the same time expect everything above 95 to cost more.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

Hello all I have been away for a while. Fitted a center replacement pipe due to the middle box being blocked up with broken cat material I am looking to tune the engine but its going to be a while due to the cost off the fuel chip for a decent quality replacement chip. Still running fuel save petrol run around three full tanks at the moment.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”