serpentine front cover oil ways

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The pipe that goes into the side port should have a stub about 25mm long past the o ring. Assuming of course your cover is a distributor type.

1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Devonman,sir, yes it is the distributor type and that is exactly the information that I am after. I assume the other pipe has just a plain 20mm male fitting and goes underneath just below the filter.
Yes, I'm making a bit of a meal of this but I haven't seen any of this particular stuff before and it's got to be right

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Username wrote:Devonman,sir, yes it is the distributor type and that is exactly the information that I am after. I assume the other pipe has just a plain 20mm male fitting and goes underneath just below the filter.
Yes, I'm making a bit of a meal of this but I haven't seen any of this particular stuff before and it's got to be right
Yes the pipe on the underside port is a plain 20mm fitting with an o ring against a swage in the pipe.

Both the port fittings on a non distributor cover (P38 type) are plain fittings also.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Thanks Devonman I'm on to it --- just waiting to hear fm Island 4by4 about the stub type pipe ----- 12 Quid --- it can't be true? I'll let you know

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Just in case you think I had disappeared on this one,I thought I'd let you know that I got the said fitting ( in fact I ended up with two) and am in the process of sever butchering. I'm also waiting on a 20mm 1.5 pitch to -10 converter for the bottom port. I'll bung in a couple of pics when finished in case it may help someone else.------all thanks to Devonman.

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Currently going through the same thing....so pics please :-)
Building a westfield V8

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Hi Jenco
Be delighted to give pics and anything else that helps but Im an IT retard. I'm waiting on my boy to show me how. Until that's sorted out Id be happy to email you all the gen. I guess I can put my email address in this forum somehow. I've finally got a really tidy setup on this (thanks to Devonman among others) and have done it with the best of gear for about 1/3 the cost of all that remote filter and sandwich plate stuff. I'll go and see how the email on forum stuff works and get back to you soonest. I'll put a description on this forum later tonight if that helps

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Final arrangement of fittings[/img]

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Sorry about previous pic attempt -- back later

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

This setup is for 3.9 rover with distributer type front cover. For the port above the oil filter a pipe complete with special fitting was obtained fm Island 4by4 (1 x Oil Cooler Pipe (Engine) V8 PBP101150 (PBP101150) = £12.50 ) and the fitting cut off complete with a small length of the steel pipe to which steel braided rubber pipe was swagged on. This is the return pipe fm oil cooler.
For the port below the oil filter a 20mm 1.5 pitch to -10 (7/8 unf) male fitting was obtained fm Flofit (great value) and attached to a90 degree -10 to oil pipe fitting fm Matt Lewis Racing. This is the "to"oil cooler line. Incidentally I found MLR stuff to be best value.
Photo's below!
P.s this forums gen on this subject really did save me considerable time and hassle ( not to mention MONEY), I just got to break the habit of a lifetime and contribute with a donation
Last edited by Username on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Cooler pipe set up

Post by Username »

Image[/img]

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Cooler oil pipe fittings

Post by Username »

[/img]Image

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Looks neat. How have you sealed the lower fitting ? copper washer?

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Two dowty washers, but I think you have to be careful, there's not a lot of thread down there and your into alloy. I don't know that an O ring might not do? Perhaps not?
I did have to shorten the threaded length of the adapter

Sychologist

Post by Sychologist »

Hi, this information is really helpful but with me I have an added problem. On the outlet underneath I do not have enough space to put a male to male adapter together with a 90 degree bend with female connector. I am trying to find someone who may be able to cut and weld a sharp elbow into the pipe but would prefer a fitting. Even a compact forged bend won't work because of the extra space the male to male adapter takes up and I can only find a fitting with a female connector. Any suggestions please. My car is a chrome bumper mgb so the steering rack is very close.

I believe I can get more space by using a rubber bumper crossmember which sites the steering rack further away but this will add £300 at least to the cost and hours swapping suspension etc. I'll post a photo off my iPad if I can figure how to lol.[/img]

Return to “Engines Area”