Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Just had a 4.6 dropped off and about to strip down, chsecking the engine number i find what looks like LSR1 on it ? any ideas the pad has defo been machined
Edit it's TSR1 on there

So thats where it went !

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Devonrod wrote:Well acording to the list the 4.6 I have just got (from a range rover ) is from a Morgan +8 ! its got a S before the engine number. ??????
The engine rebuilder has just told me this is a service replacement engine that's why it has an S at the front of the number.

v8kev

engine identification

Post by v8kev »

HI all another newbie to the forum.
Having looked through the engine number listings my 3.5 engine number 47A35P.
appears to be a TVR number or maybe a Morgan number !ALL TVR and morgan 3.5 v8s run the 9.75 compression ratio i think :roll: so iam confused because 9.35cr is stamped next to the engine number????????????
Any thoughts on what it might be .
cheers kev.....

dyngo

Post by dyngo »

What about this number.
I bought a new never used what I think 4,6 engine in P38 spec.
Well, that's what the owner told me, he once wanted to use it as exchange for his 4,2 LSE.
I can't find this number in any list. High compression engine.

S83D 0000 2A

Someone has the answer ?

v8kev

Re: engine identification

Post by v8kev »

v8kev wrote:HI all another newbie to the forum.
Having looked through the engine number listings my 3.5 engine number 47A35P.
appears to be a TVR number or maybe a Morgan number !ALL TVR and morgan 3.5 v8s run the 9.75 compression ratio i think :roll: so iam confused because 9.35cr is stamped next to the engine number????????????
Any thoughts on what it might be .
cheers kev.....

4.6_crossbolt

4.6 Service Exchange

Post by 4.6_crossbolt »

Just taken delivery of a second-hand short engine which at first appeared to have no identification or engine number, but after cleaning up I found a neat little plate riveted to the front nearside block face:

Land Rover Parts Ltd. Service Exchange
Model: STC 1967 E
Serial No: AAA S16861 E JO

There is also a number cast into the block: HRC 2411

The bore and stroke check out as a 4.6 (94 x 83), so I'm happy I've got what I paid for, but can anyone say what vehicle, CR, or date this engine might be?

Thanks
2000 (X) Range Rover 4.6 Vogue + LPG
1985 (B) Rover SD1 4.6, T5, LSD, SP+MegaJolt
1972 (K) Reliant Scimitar SE5A 3.5 V8 + quad SU's

FFG

P6 engine in a Land Rover - possible to tie down the year?

Post by FFG »

V8 fitted in a series 3 Land Rover and the log book points to it being an SD1 engine (states 10A......) but now found the engine number at the back of the block and it is 42523546C so its actually a P6 auto block from 1967-76 but is there any way of getting closer to the year of manufacture?
FFG

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: P6 engine in a Land Rover - possible to tie down the yea

Post by harvey »

FFG wrote: but now found the engine number at the back of the block and it is 42523546C so its actually a P6 auto block from 1967-76 but is there any way of getting closer to the year of manufacture?
FFG

425 engines are RHD UK auto cars.
Numbers on the back of the block are earlier engines, and are suffix "A".
"C" suffix is later so should be stamped on the top of the block by the dipstick.
Both are 10.5:1 cr, but the "A" suffix has a rope rear main seal, and the "C" suffix should have a lipseal rear main seal.

"C" suffix would be from about 1972-4.

FFG

Re: P6 engine in a Land Rover - possible to tie down the yea

Post by FFG »

harvey wrote:
FFG wrote: but now found the engine number at the back of the block and it is 42523546C so its actually a P6 auto block from 1967-76 but is there any way of getting closer to the year of manufacture?
FFG

425 engines are RHD UK auto cars.
Numbers on the back of the block are earlier engines, and are suffix "A".
"C" suffix is later so should be stamped on the top of the block by the dipstick.
Both are 10.5:1 cr, but the "A" suffix has a rope rear main seal, and the "C" suffix should have a lipseal rear main seal.

"C" suffix would be from about 1972-4.
Thanks. The number is on back of the block (the bulkhead side) not by the dipstick, which is why I couldn't find it as that's where I had been looking. Wasn't until the gearbox was out at the garage was all revealed. Just rembered the old distributor was swapped earlier this week and I still have the old one in the car. Just checked and it has 35DB and 46 71 stamped in the body so this must relate to the week and year of the distributor?? If so its likely a very late 71 or early 72 engine I guess.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Just been looking at the area adjacent to the dipstick. It has 47AnnnnnA (where n is a numeric character) which would indicate Morgan +8, but also has 47A40PnnnG above this in smaller text which would indicate TVR Chimaera. Perhaps an attempt to make the engine look more valuable?
Any ideasuggestions what this may be?

ndsmb

Re: Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

Post by ndsmb »

Hello,

I have a 1989 Land Rover Defender with engine 24G05055B, but the information I have from the British Motor Industry said it was built with engine 24G05055C. Is it possible there was a typo somewhere? Is there another stamp somewhere that I could verify?

Thanks,

Jared

ColinT67

Post by ColinT67 »

Hi all, mines 36D01493A, so its a 3.9 efi auto out of a Disco '88 on. Anyway of knowing what actual year it is and would it be a 4 bolt main engine? Not taken the sump off yet.....

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Only the 4.0 and 4.6 (and their variations) had 4 bolt mains.

The 3.9 with its smaller crankshaft has the pads cast into the block for the cross bolts but were not drilled for them and the bearing caps were not drilled either.

Also your engine was most likely out of a RR (88 on) as the Discos did not get the 3.9 until much later and your engine is an early number. Also it is a Hi Comp engine which is a bonus.

Garry

woody

Post by woody »

Hi could any one help me with my engine number for the year of manufacture as my kit car will require a IVA test when finished the number is 23D08345D cr8.13.1 and is there an easy way to find out if this is the CR with out taking of the heads off as the engine has been rebuilt thanks Keith

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

That engine number comes up as 23Dxxxxx = 1990 Landrover Discovery Auto EFI - with CR 8.13:1

So when originally built it had a compression ratio of 8.13:1

Garry

Return to “Engines Area”