Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

Post by katanaman »

I have added quite a few engine numbers that weren't on the original list. You can get them here http://www.v8forum.co.uk/engineno2.htm . If anybody knows of any that are missing then please let me know.
Last edited by katanaman on Fri May 02, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

cheers mate
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

little_yellow

Engine number not in your list

Post by little_yellow »

Hi,

this is my first post here.

I bought a Westfield Seight with a 3,9 ltr engine but I cannot find the engine number in any list.

Stamped in is the following number:

CR8 13.1
28G00095A

The upper line is clearly the compression rate ( 8.13 : 1 ) but what means
28G..... ?

Any info welcome,

Mathias,

Austria
Last edited by little_yellow on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

going by the number ranges I would think its a Landrover or Discovery engine and as you say a low compression one. I would give it a measure up if you can because I would say it could easy actually be a 3.5 and not a 3.9 like you have been told. I could be wrong on this but all the 28's seem to be 3.5.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

XM46D prefix

Post by adamnreeves »

My engine which I bought from RPI is prefixed XM46D. Its year of manufacture is 2004 and I believe it was intended install was in a Morgan but then I think Morgan started to use BMW power plants and thus surplus of Rover these engines was created.

I wonder if XM stands for Ex-Morgan!

tr8

Post by tr8 »

Adam,

The "XM " denotes a MCT ( mitchell Cotts ) engine built under licence for Land Rover. They build a 46D2 , 46D3 46D5, 46D7 ALL 4.6HC short motors and a 46D1 AND 46D4 stripped engine. It is probably built from mainly OE parts left over from the end of production at Solihull and would be one of the first batch they built.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Mines the 46D3. Thanks for the information, good to know where it came from.

Do you know if they did anything special with balancing internal components?

tr8 wrote:Adam,

The "XM " denotes a MCT ( mitchell Cotts ) engine built under licence for Land Rover. They build a 46D2 , 46D3 46D5, 46D7 ALL 4.6HC short motors and a 46D1 AND 46D4 stripped engine. It is probably built from mainly OE parts left over from the end of production at Solihull and would be one of the first batch they built.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've got an engine number from an Range Rover that does not appear to be on the list, it was out of a 1983 Model Range Rover here in Australia,

I can't be sure if it was the original engine that was fitted to the car but any info would be helpful

14D01122A

Thanks

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Not a lot of info is avaliable on non UK engines am afraid If you find any let me know.

As for balancing, I don't know for sure but all the 4.0-4.6 engines were fully internally balanced to 1 gram in the factory. I cant see MCT changing that as its still a production engine so no need to make it better balanced. It was only the 3.9 that was partly externally balanced.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Good enough for 6,500rpms then!

Interesting MCT producing engines though, I thought they only did transmissions.

katanaman wrote:Not a lot of info is avaliable on non UK engines am afraid If you find any let me know.

As for balancing, I don't know for sure but all the 4.0-4.6 engines were fully internally balanced to 1 gram in the factory. I cant see MCT changing that as its still a production engine so no need to make it better balanced. It was only the 3.9 that was partly externally balanced.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Marki,
I'm still trying to ID the motor in my Pop, any Ideas?
S31D00037A
Ta
Ian
Ian

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Don't know about the S but 31D is a Range Rover engine. The only other S anything is a Morgan engine that I know about so could be that. Sorry cant help any more than that at the mo.

jsstevo1

Post by jsstevo1 »

Hi there,

Has anyone ever come across a Rover V8 engine with the engine number starting with 39V?

If so, what is it from?

Cheers!

EazyOne

Re: Engine numbers updated

Post by EazyOne »

katanaman wrote:If anybody knows of any that are missing then please let me know.
Hi

I have an engine, that I was told is a SD1, but looking at your list, it looks more like a P6 (whats the diff?)

The engine number is: 451XXXX7D (D=???)
and there is also stamped: 9.25:1 CR (note: NOT 9.35:1 CR)

It came with an automatic transmission.

Any Ideas what engine this is?..

Thanks in advance...

Regards
Jacques - Denmark

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Its a P6 engine like you thought. Poor heads in comparison to the sd1 as well as none stiff block and a not so good oil pump. There are many other differences as well but all the SD1 stuff will fit if you want to upgrade any of it. Course the newer parts could already be fitted.

Return to “Engines Area”