General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

shiny new engine

Post by v8alligator »

Hi All,

I have just picked up my nice new engine to go in my range rover.

the engine number reads XM 42D 207 L1

I understand the XM stands for Mitchell Cotts and 42D is Range Rover 4.0 (3.95)

What does the 207 L1 stand for. Am just trying to date the engine and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it.

It also looks to be a COSCAST later block so hopefully no slipping liners this time. :)

Thanks

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Your number really doesn't have anything to do with the LR numbering convention. You might be better contacting Mitchell Cotts for information. Chances are its built out of parts and they have used their own numbering system. Wild guess though I would say it could be an 07 or that could be its the 207th engine.

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alligator »

Hi Marki,

Contacted Mitchell Cotts they are really helpfull.

Terns out my engine was built in November 2007 and was a new engine not re-manufactured lump. They said they would send me over the full build spec info on it, just for my info.

Thanks for your help

grahambowden

Engine number --- what year

Post by grahambowden »

Hi
I have a 9.25 CR block with 45120211D

From the previous entry I guess that means its afrom an automatic .

What year would if come from ?

Anywhere between 1967 and 76 ? or can it be tied down further?

many thanks in advance

Graham

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Please see earlier in thread regarding contacting someone in LR regarding dating more accurately.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

What does the last letter mean? The engine in question should be a 3.9 EFI RR auto lump, but number is (9.35:1) 25D19040C, doesnt seem to tie in quite right on the list!

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Engine number --- what year

Post by harvey »

grahambowden wrote:Hi
I have a 9.25 CR block with 45120211D

Graham
That's a later P6B engine with the lip type rear main seal, and would have been fitted from about 1973-6 starting roughly at the same time as the change from the BW35 to the BW65 box.

lemscar

Engine No 94D01994A

Post by lemscar »

Hello everyone, this is my first post a question I hope I shall be able to answer more questions than I ask. I am trying to identify this engine no in a 2000 4.0 can anyone help identify it? regards
Bonnet to boot for 45 years

roofus123

E numbers

Post by roofus123 »

Hi....
New to the site (recommended), just looked at the engine number profile list and found my engine number ends with a C where most end in A the full number is 48106615C any thing I should be aware of...comp = 10.5:1 stamped on the block (to be confirmed on a possible strip down) 1976 P6 Manual? Any help on my first post would be great, and will be posting a more in depth advice request a little later...
Regards to all :::: Shaun
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: E numbers

Post by harvey »

roofus123 wrote:Hi....
New to the site (recommended), just looked at the engine number profile list and found my engine number ends with a C where most end in A the full number is 48106615C any thing I should be aware of...comp = 10.5:1 stamped on the block (to be confirmed on a possible strip down) 1976 P6 Manual? Any help on my first post would be great, and will be posting a more in depth advice request a little later...
Regards to all :::: Shaun

Your thoughts on the origins of this are correct I think, it should be from slightly earlier than 1976, say 1973 onwards roughly, 481 series numbers were given to the "S" although it is the same engine as the auto. All I could add is that the "C" suffix should mean it is the last of the 10.5:1 cr engines, but it should have the lip type rear main seal as opposed to the rope seals found on the "A" suffix engines.

rich998a

Post by rich998a »

Just had this come onto the Rangerovers.net forums. This chap needs some help with an engine number. Can anyone shed some light on it for him?
peter-sherman wrote:I've an MGB and I am using a range rover motor in it.

Engine number 537DXXXXXB.
The 37D indicates that this is a 3.9, whatever is the 5 all about? I can find nothing on the net about it. It has the longer nosed crank (oil pump on the front) and the block has the 4.0/4.6 shape with the pads for the cross bolts, but no cross bolts. I'm hoping that the bearing caps are the cross bolt type because I can then install a stroker kit and cross bolt it at minimal expense.
Also since it's got the longer nosed crank I'd be guessing that it has the 4.0 larger journals, can anyone confirm this? I would speculate that my motor is some sort of intermediate between the 3.9 and the 4.0 .
I'm hoping that some one can identify the motor by its number, with a view to learning what bearing caps were installed in it. Getting the sump off to have a look is difficult. It's all a bit of a tight fit squished into the MGB.
I bought the motor from a guy , who got it from someone who had installed a new short motor under an older set of heads and then wrecked the car with about 20K on the short motor.
LINK:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... =3&t=30352

Thanks guys.

stoutgoose

Post by stoutgoose »

I've searched the web and cannot find any help in identifying my engine. Can anyone shed some light on this number?

S81D00425A

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

only number I know of with S in it is Morgan but the 81 doesn't match up to anything I have. Maybe try some Morgan places and see if it is.

Trevor

Engine Code

Post by Trevor »

I have bought a Range Rover V8 engine for a little project.I bought the engine as a 1990 Range Rover 3.9 Efi.However from what I can find on here the engine has to be a 3.5.The engine number is 25D19314C and compression ratio is 9:35:1.Can anyone shed some light on this as it looks like it's a 3.5 instead of the 3.9 that I thought I had bought.Doh

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Definitely a 3.5 block. Options are its been bored and new liners fitted to make it a 3.9 or it is still actually a 3.5. What made you think it was a 3.9? If its because it has 3.9 on the plenum then thats just a bolt on part. Only real way to tell is to measure the bore.

Return to “Engines Area”