Odd Rover V8

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Odd Rover V8

Post by paulmanta »

I have just picked up a V8 Rover engine taken from a discovery, it has all the serpentine belt system on it except the alternator and has the 3.9 injection manifold still on it. The odd thing is that the heads look new and do not have the full compliment of head bolts in them, in fact some of the bolt holes in the heads dont seem to have holes in the block and this has puzzled me greatly, all my other V8 rover engines have no misalignment or redundant bolts, the bolts that are missing are the outer bank of bolts nearest to the exhaust manifolds, sort of above the plugs. Both sides are like it.

My question is what on earth has the previous owner done ? wrong heads ? if so what has he used, wrong block ?

Either way i wont be running the lump till i have stripped it and found out more, i suspect i might break it for spares but i am still keen to know what i have head/block wise.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Odd Rover V8

Post by sidecar »

paulmanta wrote:I have just picked up a V8 Rover engine taken from a discovery, it has all the serpentine belt system on it except the alternator and has the 3.9 injection manifold still on it. The odd thing is that the heads look new and do not have the full compliment of head bolts in them, in fact some of the bolt holes in the heads dont seem to have holes in the block and this has puzzled me greatly, all my other V8 rover engines have no misalignment or redundant bolts, the bolts that are missing are the outer bank of bolts nearest to the exhaust manifolds, sort of above the plugs. Both sides are like it.

My question is what on earth has the previous owner done ? wrong heads ? if so what has he used, wrong block ?

Either way i wont be running the lump till i have stripped it and found out more, i suspect i might break it for spares but i am still keen to know what i have head/block wise.

People in the "know" leave the outer row of head bolts off (the ones near the spark plugs). These bolts cause the head gasket to blow into the valley area of the block.

It sounds like you have 14 bolt heads but a later 10 bolt block, this is perfectly OK!

HTH,

Pete

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

if it still has a dizzy it could be an intermediate engine. They were a transition from the old 3.9 to the new 4.0 4.6. If the holes are in the heads but missing bolts then they are still the old heads and it maybe just has the newer front cover on. Bit confused with your description really. As sidecar said the outer bolts are useless anyway and although I put them in its just to fill the holes. They are only lightly torqued to about 20lbs. Its common enough for people to leave them out altogether and some even blank the spare holes with alloy slugs.

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

The newer 10 bolt heads are said to be the best standard design.
They will have the smaller chambers and should be fitted with comp. gaskets.

The very latest ones had the blue oil seals.

It quite normal to have these fitted to a 14 hole blocks, as an upgrade or replacement

as said the method of filling the holes vary, so no need to strip the engine, for this reason.

If you don't want them I can always do you a swap for some 14 bolt heads.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

It is the intermediate engine because it does have the dizzy hole and drive.

The 10 bolt bottom end makes sense as does the 14 bolt heads explanation, i have never come across this combination before as i mosly run 3.5 engines from SD1's.

Many thanks for the info folks now I just have to decide if i sell the good bits or re-build. The guy I got it off says it had a misfire and he was suspicious of a liner.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

If you sell for spares i could be very interested in the intermediate timing cover etc,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

It might be best to send me a PM, I could be persuaded to sell the lot as one lump.

I could keep it "just in case" and all that but I could also use the money to finish the last few small jobs on the re-build of the Manta.

Return to “Engines Area”