3.5 rover Sump gasket. Rubber ?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

3.5 rover Sump gasket. Rubber ?

Post by paulmanta »

Is it possible to buy a 3.5 Rover V8 sump gasket in rubber ? I am not happy with the cork type gaskets that seem to leak or weep in a very short time, I am not over tightening them either, its just that they are pants !

any ideas on suppliers if they do exist ?

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Ive not had any real issues with the cork gaskets, But I do check the sump for flatness, normally on the kitchen worksurface when the wife is out!! make sure its flat and clean, and evostick the gasket to the sump, whent thats sorted, clean out the bolt holes in the block and clean the bolts with a good degreaser, Blue Hylomar the sump gasket to block, and fit up with a couple of bolts, Then Loctite the bolts in position with the correct torque applied, If this is done correctly the sump should NOT LEAK
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

To be honest half of the problem is that the sump flange is not 100% flat, it was a brand new landrover sump that I modified to fit the car, there is a little distortion present, not much, but enough to be a problem for the cork type gaskets.
The other issue i have is that it would be nice to have a gasket that has the metal anti overtighten rings in it so the sump will pull flat without squeezing the gasket out in the centre of the longest flats.

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

You can cardboard sump gaskets,...a stiff fibre type material, or just put the sump on with sealant and no gasket, which is the procedure now adopted by Land Rover in their engine overhaul manual of 1997 covering all engine capacities.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

paulmanta wrote: The other issue i have is that it would be nice to have a gasket that has the metal anti overtighten rings in it so the sump will pull flat without squeezing the gasket out in the centre of the longest flats.
Thats the very reason I Evostick the gasket onto the sump, once its glued in position, it dosent move, and the other reason I say torque the sump and loctite the bolts is you dont then have the loading on them to distort the sump or gasket, and the loctite stops them from unscrewing at such a low torque,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Its an option, I might use the sealer/loctite method.

I have always stayed well away from sealer poo before and prefer to rely on the gasket itself to be able to manage the job, I recently added rubber rocker cover gaskets to the engine and was happy that they work with no sealer or other prep so was hoping a sump gasket was available, I tried ebay and my usual motor factors but no luck so far.

If anyone who reads this knows of a supplier i would be really happy as rubber is the way forward.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Rubber sump gaskets are only available for the 4.0 4.6 engines and they wont fit the earlier engines. Cork is the best material for a steel sump because the sump flexes. The rubber gasket is used on the later engines because the sump is cast alloy and is much stiffer.

Return to “Engines Area”