Troubleshooting failure. Need help, car dies

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

greg

Troubleshooting failure. Need help, car dies

Post by greg »

I have a older 50 Merc, the car idles, and drives well for about an hour, then for not apparent reson it will just die. If I wait two, 5 mins or so it starts back up.

I'm not sure what to actually look for. Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks,
Greg

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Blocked Fuel Filter
Breather in tank placked not letting fuel through
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
next try coil .....
I had a midget years ago on a haul effect pick up type electronic conversion, the pick up would die after about an hour an fifteen minutes, whip the cap off, five minutes later it would be fine for another hour and fifteen.
When its died do the basics, (quickly) has it got a spark? is it a good strong one? if yes then its the fuel suply, so check fuel delivery (is it efi?) if so check the low and then the high pressure fuel suply if it has spark and high pressure fuel then its time to check the trigger to the injectors.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

greg

Car dies

Post by greg »

Its a flat 8 so its difficult to find someone who works on them. Are ther other suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

V6GTE

Post by V6GTE »

Would agree with Kiwi, my Scimitar had the same problem. The coil on my Scimitar got warm when the engine was hot causing it the break down inside. Leave the car to stand for five mins and it would go again. Took a week to track the fault down. Also check the integrity of your engine earth leads / coil earth etc. But coil would be the first place I'd be looking now :)
V8 Scimitar GTE! well......... it soon will be

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I would hazard another (unlikely) suggestion at carb icing. My carb usually ices up after a few minutes though, not an hour, but five minutes of being stood still, it clears as yours does.

What carbs does it have? I have no idea. As a quick check, next time it does it, quickly whip the air filter off, and look in the carb for ice building up around the venturis/ needle/ bit where the juice comes out.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Greg,

Being it's a simple flat head ford lump with old technology I would try a new condenser in the distributor and failing that a new correct output coil,
Not sure where you get parts for 50's flatheads but you could try Pop Browns Hot Rod shop in Harlow Tel.08456 588191 he may not have the parts you want but can probably tell where you can get them and obviously replace the points at the same time, sod off a job on a flathead if remember correctly the dizzy is on the nose of the crank!

Kevin.

Return to “Engines Area”