Regrind crank or not?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dagmarsawayn

Regrind crank or not?

Post by dagmarsawayn »

Hi,

I have two cranks, and I'm deliberating which one to use and which one to sell. There isn't much to choose between them; both are dimensionally ok - not oval or tapered to within half a thou - but there us some slight scoring.

The best one has some slight visible scoring on one or two journals that I can barely feel with my fingers. Do you think this will be ok to use - I don't have a camera so couldn't put a picture up? It's so slight I think it would polish out with a strip of rag and some fine valve grinding paste. I don't believe in grinding a crank when it's not needed.

The other crank has one or two deeper scores that I can feel with my finger nail around the whole circumference so I've dismissed it on that basis

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Regrind crank or not?

Post by Mc Tool »

Anything you can feel is definitely suss ,specially if its going into your own motor 😁.Its surprising just how small a gouge you can "finger nail " .....might only be a thou or so . I would get a bit of 800-1000 grit wet and dry sand paper ,cut a strip as wide as the journal , squirt of crc wd40 what ev , put the crank in the upturned block and rotate it ( helper may be req) and apply sandpaper to journal. If its a main just leave the shell out and slip the sandpaper in behind journal . If the marks dont polish out by the time the rest of the journal is showing signs of the polishing give up and grind it.
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Regrind crank or not?

Post by rich112 »

Happen to be looking at mine tonight too! These are the worst. You can see the marking on the shells too.

Might try the bootlace and 400 oxide paper first!
Attachments
20220118_215629 (Medium).jpg
20220118_215451 (Medium).jpg
20220117_173053 (Medium).jpg

Return to “Engines Area”