Gudgeon pin/little end offset and power.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Thunderchief

Re: Gudgeon pin/little end offset and power.

Post by Thunderchief »

ChrisJC, absolutely correct, swap pistons and rods from one bank to the other, however I'm going to use 4.0 pistons with the 4.6 crank and rods for a bit more compression, so I'll have to change the pistons anyway. I've discovered my 4.6 has some cylinder damage, so I'm now looking for a good used 4.0 short motor at a reasonable price, anyone who has one for sale please PM me or post here. :D

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Question, if you put the pistons in backwards will you get interference between con rod and bottom of cylinder/sleeve?

I know on Ford when you put in stroker cranks you have to notch the bottom of the cylinders blue to said interference.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Thunderchief

Post by Thunderchief »

Build it and check the clearance, if it's anything like close and it's below where the bottom ring is at BDC grind it out, you just made your performance vehicle lighter.

Thunderchief

Post by Thunderchief »

Ian, bear in mind pin offset is 0.6mm so reversing the piston will move the top of the rod by 1.2mm, translating to a miniscule amount towards the lower end of the rod, I doubt clearance will be an issue, but always check. I believe a clearance of 2.5mm or 0.1 inch is the rule of thumb.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

This

Means there is a test coming.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Engines Area”