Tvr heads to 3.5 Rover

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Agnoraan

Tvr heads to 3.5 Rover

Post by Agnoraan »

I've been offered a pair of TVR 5.0 heads from a Chimaera. I have 3.5 fitted with 44 IDFs, Piper 270 cam, headers etc. Is it a straight swap to fit the 5.0 heads to a 3.5, or are there issues? Would they be too big? What thoughts do you guys have regarding a swap like this?
Thanks in advance
Nige

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Tvr heads to 3.5 Rover

Post by ChrisJC »

They will definitely physically fit. You need to keep the same type of head gasket as the TVR (i.e. composite or tin), but with the bore to match the 3.5.

And just check that the mounting locations for the ancillaries are going to be OK - the number of threaded bosses slowly increased over the years although I don't think any actually moved!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

TVR 5.0 engines have valve pockets machined in the pistons. Whether or not this is required, don´t really know. Another thing to check: these heads have bigger valves and in a smaller bore of 3.5 litre engine they may be close to cylinder wall.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

I wouldn't bother with them if I were you. Better to just chuck them away, in fact if you send them over I'll dispose of them responsibly and safely for you.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

GDCobra wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm
I wouldn't bother with them if I were you. Better to just chuck them away, in fact if you send them over I'll dispose of them responsibly and safely for you.
I'm so concerned about the safe disposal of unwanted heads that I'll even come over and collect them from you to ensure they are dealt with properly. I won't even charge for the service. Just drop me your address and I'll be right over.

Agnoraan

Post by Agnoraan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: , thanks for the replies. Has anyone
Actually fitted these heads to z 3.5? If so did they increase performance?
Cheers...Nige

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Provided all the moving bits still move (i.e. valves don't hit the pistons) then you won't be worse off than you currently are.

Return to “Engines Area”