lack of big end oil squirt grooves RV4.6

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bini

lack of big end oil squirt grooves RV4.6

Post by bini »

Hi I'm new to the Forum but not new to rover V8's
I'm building a 4.6 and noticed the little groove in the conrod big end to squirt oil in the opposing cylinder bore has been omitted? So I'm going to put grooves in the rods to once again squirt oil up the bore, was this the cause of slipped liners i was thinking? And as an aside, when i stripped the ebay junk engine special, the heads had not been torqued down at all! 2 middle bolts little more than hand tight (3&5 head gasket hanging out) and one front bolt so tight it snapped in the block! is this common or just a Friday afternoon job...

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: lack of big end oil squirt grooves RV4.6

Post by ChrisJC »

Interesting observation!, I guess Land Rover realised they didn't do much. Lets be fair, oil from the top of the engine runs onto the crankshaft and gets whizzed around in the crankcase anyway.

As for slipping liners, clearly a hopeless quality control in manufacture!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: lack of big end oil squirt grooves RV4.6

Post by unstable load »

bini wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:00 pm
Hi I'm new to the Forum but not new to rover V8's
I'm building a 4.6 and noticed the little groove in the conrod big end to squirt oil in the opposing cylinder bore has been omitted? So I'm going to put grooves in the rods to once again squirt oil up the bore, was this the cause of slipped liners i was thinking? And as an aside, when i stripped the ebay junk engine special, the heads had not been torqued down at all! 2 middle bolts little more than hand tight (3&5 head gasket hanging out) and one front bolt so tight it snapped in the block! is this common or just a Friday afternoon job...
If your engine is still factory original, then probably a Monday/Friday job, but also likely to be some backyarder bolloxing it up, too.

Slipped liners are down to tired machinery at the factory and less than accurate core placement at casting, both adding up to problems for owners.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Engines Area”