which heads

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

MARSHY

which heads

Post by MARSHY »

Hi , i am rebuilding a 3.9 engine with a mild cam upgrade and was thinking which heads would give me some slight performance improvements,I have some slightly ported 3.5 heads some 4.6 standard heads and some standard 3.9 heads .Which do you think I should fit , regards David.

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: which heads

Post by kokkolanpoika »

Go for 4.6 heads. Exhaust port is bigger near valve guide vs old style heads.. Also you get more compression ratio.. You can also port those 4.6 heads.
Timo

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

kokkolanpoika wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm
Go for 4.6 heads. Exhaust port is bigger near valve guide vs old style heads.. Also you get more compression ratio.. You can also port those 4.6 heads.
With standard heads, compression ratio comes from the pistons used, not what heads are used.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Heads designed for a steel gasket are higher than those for composite. If you use heads for steel with composite, you'll end up with a lower CR than the pistons say.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

To clarify here, there are two thicknesses of head gasket. Thin 'tin' ones and thick 'composite' ones. The heads are machined to suit a particular gasket type, so a head for a tin gasket is about 1mm taller than for a composite gasket. The idea is that overall, the combustion chamber volume is the same, and the compression is set by the piston.

You can mix & match gaskets and heads, but it does mean that the hydraulic tappet preload will be incorrect (as it depends on the distance between the camshaft and the rocker shaft), so you have to compensate for it by shimming the rocker shaft pedestals!

Best bet is to keep head & gasket type matched, and choose pistons to suit your end-goal.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

And use waisted stem valves :D
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time