General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

aspira
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Mocal oil pump cover

Post by aspira »

Hi there,

I've installed a Mocal Oil Pump cover and I'm struggling with the pipework to the remote filter using the pipes I got in the kit (5/8 pipes with 3/4 UNF fittings). Ideally I wanted to fix the remote filter to the inner wing but I can't using the existing pipes and fittings so I thought I'd make up some new ones with alternative fittings.

I thought about buying two 150º connectors but I can't find any that fit 5/8 pipe only 1/2 and don't want to change the existing Mocal fittings to 1/2.
I could make up some longer pipes and house the remote filter somewhere else but not sure where or if this is an arrangement other have used?

In retrospect I should have bought a different pump cover with the connectors already angled upwards but I didn't know what I know now!

Been stuck for weeks on this part of the build so any help much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1356.jpg
unnamed.jpg

1978 MGB Roadster
Converting to V8

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mocal oil pump cover

Post by richardpope50 »

When I bought a Mocal oil cooler the guy gave me a length of pipe and connectors to my own requirements and I fitted them myself - easy. They were all push fit but not possible to get off very easily. It was simply a case of going to a bin of connectors and choosing what I wanted.

Cannot you go to a Mocal dealer and just do the same? Mocal themselves are in West London - went there years ago and they were very helpful.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

aspira
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by aspira »

Yes, definitely an option when they're open again.
1978 MGB Roadster
Converting to V8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Phone Think Automotive
Very helpful and apparently open on line

https://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_l ... gs_53.html

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Yes, that's Mocal - Think Auto
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

aspira
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by aspira »

I finally got the hoses connected to the remote filter using 150º & 180º 1/2 connectors with barbs to take a 5/8 hose. I took out the original connectors in the oil cover head (1/2 to 5/8) and simply screwed in the new ones and then attached the hose to the barbs. Straightforward in the end!

I'm now left with the 1/2 UNF oil pressure sender to sort out which fits between the in and out on the oil header . There's no room directly into the cover so I made up an extension.

Unfortunately, there simply isn't enough room to screw it in. All I can do is block off the hole and find somewhere else to connect the oil sender.

Can I drill & tap the remote filter header? Anyone done this before.

Any help much appreciated.
1978 MGB Roadster
Converting to V8

Return to “Engines Area”